Cypress essential oil has a fresh, woody aroma that is energizing and refreshing.
It is created by steam distilling the branches of the cupressus sempervirens tree, typically found in France and Spain.
- Benefits of using Cypress Essential Oil:
- Noteworthy studies featuring cypress essential oil:
- Our Favorite Cypress Essential Oil Uses:
- Frequently Asked Questions about Cypress Essential Oil
- Can you ingest cypress essential oil?
- Is cypress essential oil safe to use while pregnant?
- Is cypress essential oil safe for kids and babies?
- Can you be allergic to cypress essential oil?
- Is cypress essential oil safe for dogs and cats?
- Should you use cypress essential oil if you’re taking medication?
- How often should you use cypress essential oil?
- Don’t see an answer to the question you have about cypress essential oil?
- Where to find Cypress Essential Oil
Benefits of using Cypress Essential Oil:
- Helps support healthy breathing
- Soothes tight muscles
- Supports circulation
- Helps support your skin… especially if you have oily skin
- Ease tired, swollen feet
- Support bladder strength
- Eases heavy menstraul flow and cramping
- Soothes throat irritation
- Reduces the appearance of “spider veins“
- Controls excess sweating and is a natural deodorant (perfect for homemade deodorants)
- Improves circulation, allowing the body to detox naturally
Noteworthy studies featuring cypress essential oil:
- This study discusses the benefits using cypress essential oil in your home may benefit and support the health of your lungs
- This study discusses how cypress essential oil has aided in the health of infected potatoes
Our Favorite Cypress Essential Oil Uses:
Cypress is the oil of emotion & flow. I love this oil because it creates fluidity for any stagnant energies surrounding us.
This oil also aids in teaching the soul how to let go of the past by moving with the flow of life. If you’re experiencing the feeling of being stuck, stiff, rigid, or tense .. even if you have perfectionist tendencies, THIS oil is perfect for you!!!
If you’re a worrier, Cypress encourages you to cast aside your worries and let go of needing to be in CONTROL so you can enjoy the thrill that comes from being alive!!!!
As a mom of two, I use this blend a lot for helping with bladder control… both for my postpartum body and for my kids so they can have better bladder control at night (hooray for no more wetting the bed!). We simply dilute cypress essential oil, and rub it on over our lower abdomens each night.
Reduce under-eye bags with a roller bottle of 10 drops cypress, 5 drops frankincense, and 5 drops geranium, filled the rest of the way with your favorite carrier oil
Support your circulation with 5 drops eucalyptus, 5 drops rosemary, 5 drops cypress, 5 drops black pepper, and 5 drops ginger in a 10ml roller bottle filled the rest of the way with a carrier oil
Our Favorite DIY Diffuser Blends:
- Kick the Crud: 5 drops rosemary, 4 drops eucalyptus, 4 drops peppermint, 3 drops cypress, 2 drops lemon
- Wake Up and Energize: 6 drops cypress, 4 drops lavender, 1 drop peppermint (also works great steaming in the shower)
- Hike in the Woods: 3 drops cypress, 3 drops cedarwood, 3 drops tea tree
- Winter Wonderland: 4 drops cypress, 3 drops peppermint, 3 drops bergamot
- Seaside Summer: 3 drops cypress, 3 drops bergamot, 3 drops Citrus Fresh
- Power Your Brain: 4 drops each cypress, rosemary, and juniper
- Focus Your Attention: 6 drops rosemary, 6 drops lemon, 3 drops cypress
- Under A Willow: 4 drops frankincense, 2 drops lavender, 2 drops cypress, 1 drop clove
- Well Soul: 2 drops each of patchouli, cypress, and bergamot
- Think Positive: 2 drops each cypress, frankincense, ylang ylang
I personally LOVE wearing diffuser necklaces and occasionally wear diffusing bracelets. You can find some of my favorites at Drops of Joy (use code DROP10-ESSENTIALOILSLIFE coupon code for a 10% discount).
Frequently Asked Questions about Cypress Essential Oil
Can you ingest cypress essential oil?
Cypress essential oil is not among the list of oils that are typically considered safe for ingesting.
Is cypress essential oil safe to use while pregnant?
Yes. Generally lemon essential oil is considered safe to use while you’re pregnant. In fact, diluting it (1 drop essential oil per 5 ml carrier oil) and rubbing it on your feet can help with the swelling.
If you’re using oils while pregnant, I highly recommend this reference guide. It contains some great advice for using essential oils while pregnant, plus some DIY Recipes you’ll love too.
Is cypress essential oil safe for kids and babies?
Generally, yes. Though I do highly recommend only using lavender and frankincense on or around newborns.
While essential oils may be safe for kids to use, please do not have your child use an essential oil internally without being under the direct guidance of a naturopathic doctor.
Can you be allergic to cypress essential oil?
There are a few reasons why you would experience an allergy-like reaction to essential oils. Usually, this is caused by not diluting the oil you’re applying (or not diluting it enough). Please refer to our essential oils and allergies article for more in-depth information.
Is cypress essential oil safe for dogs and cats?
Cypress essential oil is considered safe to use with your dogs and cats, in addition to livestock.
If you’re using essential oils around your family pets, be sure to allow them access out of the room and into a room where you’re not diffusing. This way they’re able to escape when they feel they’ve had enough. Please also consider picking up a reference guide specific to using essential oils with animals.
Should you use cypress essential oil if you’re taking medication?
This is a very personal question, and really depend on which medications you’re taking. I have an entire article dedicated to known medication contraindications that I highly recommend you check out… in addition to having a lengthy conversation with your local aromatherapist or pharmacist.
How often should you use cypress essential oil?
This is also a personal question. This depends on what you’re using it for and how experienced you are using it. For beginners, I recommend only diffusing for 30 minutes at a time, then giving your body an hour break. If you diffuse too much, you could end up light headed. Personally, I have a diffuser running most of the day intermittently (using the intermittent setting on our diffuser). Or I’ll wear a piece of diffusing jewelry with 3 drops of oil on it throughout the day (those 3 drops usually last a few days). Check out our article about diffusing essential oils safely for more info.
Don’t see an answer to the question you have about cypress essential oil?
Have a question you don’t see? You’re welcome to ask in the comments or fill out this form to ask anonymously.
Where to find Cypress Essential Oil
We purchase our Cypress Essential Oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach.
Warning: DO NOT purchase your oils through Amazon or similar websites!
Any website that allows anyone to sell on, such as Amazon, eBay, Walmart… etc… are terrible places to purchase essential oils. While you may get a “good deal,” knowing who you’re purchasing from is difficult. There are many counterfeit essential oils being sold that are causing health ailments, major skin reactions, and a lot of misery. These are NOT high quality essential oils. They are fakes being sold purely for profit.
I also do NOT recommend purchasing from grocery stores, Walmart, Target, department stores, or drug stores. Many of the brands found at those stores have been proven to not actually contain any essential oil (which is perfectly legal to do).
I STRONGLY suggest you know the company that makes your oils, how the plants are cared for, what they do for distilling, how and how many times each batch is tested (and when), and their bottling processes. Many companies throw out fancy language for marketing purposes, but actually have no clue how their oils are made because the oils come from a broker (which are almost always diluted in solvents). Transparency is key.
I highly encourage you to check out our How To Find Quality Essential Oils post for in-depth information about why quality matters, and what to look for.
Where we purchase our essential oils, and why
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach. This company has proven to me time and time again to be the closest thing out there to buying from your local farmer. They are totally transparent in their processes, and even open their farms so you can see for yourself (or involve yourself in the process).
We LOVE their farm-to-table approach to growing, distilling, bottling, and delivering your oils right to your door!
Did this post help you? What questions or experiences do you have? We would love to hear about it in the comments below!
P.S. To receive more tips, tricks, recipes, and other essential oil fun, be sure to scroll down and sign up for our free oily newsletter, and become a part of our free Facebook group.
Let’s Connect! You can find me on social media at:
We can’t wait to welcome you into our multinational supportive online membership community for complimentary essential oil individual and group coaching, access to our favorite resources, and to receive a 24% discount on all future essential oil and essential oil infused product purchases.