Lavender Essential Oil
What is Lavender Essential Oil?
Lavender essential oil comes from steam distilling the flowering tops of Lavandula angustifolia (lavender) bushes. Lavender essential oil is known as the “Swiss Army Knife” of essential oils, as it seems there is nothing it can’t help with. It consists of sesquiterpenes and a-pinenes (just to name a couple constituents), which have incredible properties for maximizing health.
Keep in mind, essential oils are not medicine. One use may have noticeable effects, but more often you will need to incorporate them into your lifestyle to maximize the benefits you receive from them.
Why and How do you use Lavender Essential Oil?
Lavender has virtually unlimited uses. Historically, it was used to promote love. Its known to help balance your body, support your cardiovascular and nervous systems, balance your emotions, and provides excellent support to your skin.
Lavender is incredible for helping reduce tension and helping you relax.
- Add a few drops to a cup of epsom salts and baking soda into a warm bath so you can feel relaxed and rejuvenated after a long day.
- Rub a few drops in your hands with some carrier oil (like coconut oil), cup your hands over your nose, then take a few deep breaths to calm your mind.
- Rub a few drops with some carrier oil on your feet, temples, wrists (or anywhere) to feel an almost instantly calm.
- Spray it on your sheets before bed to promote relaxation and sleep. Here is an awesome Lavender Linen Spray recipe by RealFoodRN.
Lavender is great at helping you relax, which helps you fall asleep. It also supports your respiratory system, so you can breathe easier, which helps you sleep longer with higher quality of sleep.
- Diffuse a few drops for the kids or rub a drop with some coconut oil on their feet to help them unwind and get ready for bed.
- Diffuse a few drops of lavender at night to help you fall and stay asleep
- Add a few drops of tangerine and black spruce to enhance the lavender in helping you relax and sleep (my favorite sleepy time blend!)
Lavender supports your skin by reducing wrinkles, brightening your skin, and reducing spots, making you feel more confident and beautiful. Feeling beautiful and confident help you become more productive and happier, which in turn creates a whole new level of happiness and positivity. When you look good, you feel better and act more confidently.
- This toner is easy to make, and my favorite to spray on my skin every day.
- Add a drop of lavender to your mascara
- Mix a few drops of lavender essential oil in a carrier oil and rub in on your skin on areas of irritation to help support the skin while it heals.
- After spening too much time out in the sun, add a couple drops of lavender essential oil to some coconut oil (or other carrier oil) and rub over the red areas to help soothe your skin and support healing.
- Add a couple drops of lavender essential oil to some coconut oil to remove your makeup, instead of using something that could contain toxic ingredients.
Lavender is one of those oils that is easy to use everyday. Its soothingly pleasant aroma has so many uses and can easily be blended with other oils for targeted support, or just simply enjoyment.
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach.
- Sign up for my FREE 3-week essential oil email class, to learn the basics.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, 24% off retail prices!
How do you use Lavender Essential Oil? I would love to hear about it in the comments below!