What is lemon essential oil?
Lemon essential oil is cold-pressed from the rinds of lemons, giving its aroma all the brightness of the freshly picked fruit. Cheerful, sweet, and nostalgic, Lemon oil can eliminate odors and infuse your whole home with its clean, lemon-drop scent when diffused.
With its bright and joyful aroma, Lemon oil benefits skin and hair as much as its aroma benefits your environment. Your teens can add a drop to their evening moisturizer to reduce the appearance of blemishes, while you can add it to your conditioner for an aromatic treat that smoothes and shines the look of your hair. Because some citrus oils like Lemon can cause photosensitivity, avoid applying to exposed skin before spending time outside.
Keep in mind, essential oils are not medicine. One use may have noticeable effects, but more often you will need to incorporate them into your lifestyle to maximize the benefits you receive from them.
Why and How to Use Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil has a mellow, yet refreshingly invigorating and uplifting aroma. Lemon helps to promote overall health, healing, and purification, boosts physical energy.
Japanese research scientists who conducted a study about the effect of lemon essential oil on the ability to focus reported that the diffusion of lemon essential oil into an office environment dramatically improved mental accuracy and concentration. The research results showed that the typical mistakes were reduced by 54% when lemon oil was diffused into the office or work room.
- Diffuse to cleanse and purify the air
- Add to water to purify the water
- Add to coconut oil to enhance oil pulling
- may help whiten teeth
- Dilute and rub over your abdomen to support your digestive tract and related organs
- Supports your immune system
- Calms your stomach
Skin, Hair, and Nails
- Nourishes your skin, reducing breakouts
- Helps remove dead skin cells, making your skin look brighter
- Add to a homemade sugar scrub to help refresh dry, winter skin
- Tightens hair follicles and supports the skin surrounding the hair, reducing the greasy look
- Strengthens nail beds
** Lemon is a photosensitive oil, which means you should avoid allowing direct sunlight shine on the area you’ve applied lemon essential oil to for at least 12 hours. Direct sunlight exposure within 12 hours of application can produce skin irritation similar to a sunburn.
- Add to a homemade cleaner
- Use to polish silver
- Add to olive oil to polish wood furniture or sculptures
- Can remove wood stains
- Removes sticky glue and grease
- Makes you feel happier and lighter
- Makes you feel clearer and able to think
- Cleanses the lymphatic system
- Supports your respiratory system
- Aids in supporting the creation of red blood cells
- Can assist you in losing weight
- Helps reduce stress
- Promotes an overall feeling of wellbeing
- Enhances effects of oils its blended with
Bake with Lemon Vitality
- Add a few drops to your frosting recipe for a lovely lemon flavor (an excellent replacement for lemon extract, which is just made with lemon essential oil diluted in alcohol)
- Add 5 drops to your favorite blue berry muffin or pancake recipe, and add some fresh fruit on top too!
- Add a few drops to a TBS of honey or stevia, then mix with water for a lovely lemon flavored water
- Create custom vinaigrettes or marinades to add a bright taste to summer salads and grilling.
- Add it to tea, baked goods, homemade preserves, and other treats.
- Add 1 drop in plain or vanilla yogurt. Top with fresh berries.
- Combine with savory foods such as chicken, fish, shrimp, and vegetables and with sides such as noodles, rice, or pasta salad.
Here are some fantastic recipe ideas:
Drinks & Appetizers
Our Favorite Uses for Lemon Essential Oil
- 3 drops lemon, 2 drops peppermint in the diffuser to focus, energize, an be more productive
- 3 drops each: lemon, lavender, peppermint when pollen outside becomes too much to bear (replace peppermint with goldenrod for obnoxious ragweed attacks)
- Dilute lemon wit some sweet almond oil (or your favorite carrier oil) and place on dark spots on your skin to brighten them up.
Where To Find Lemon Essential Oil
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a impeccable standard for essential oils that by far exceeds the rest of the industry. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table approach to providing their customers with the best quality of essential oils possible.
Lemon Essential Oil (15ml), item # 3578
Lemon Vitality Essential Oil (5ml), item 5625
Products Containing Lemon Essential Oil
This oil is a key ingredient in many hair and skin care products, Thieves® cleaning products, and essential oil blends such as Thieves®, Citrus Fresh, Clarity, Joy, and Harmony.
Did you find this post helpful? If you enjoyed this post, please comment below and share.