Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil has a fresh, minty aroma that is both soothing and stimulating with a variety of everyday uses. It does a phenomenal job aiding in supporting digestion and breathing, cooling and soothing sore muscles, boosting energy, enhancing focus, flavoring delicious deserts, and also helps to reduce stress and nervous tension.
Peppermint essential oil is created through steam distilling the leaves and stems of the peppermint plant. It is historically used for supporting the digestive and respiratory systems, and has been studied by Alan Hirsch, MD, for its ability to directly affect the brain's ventromedial nucleus of the hypothalamus, which triggers the sensation of feeling full after eating. Its rich with constituents, like menthone, 1,8-cineole, isomenthone, and pulegone, that have incredible health benefits (seriously, Google those).
*** Use cautiously*** Peppermint essential oil is known to be a "hot oil" and needs to be diluted prior to using topically or internally.
Our favorite uses for peppermint essential oil
Energy & Focus
- Diffuse some in the morning or during the afternoon slump for a quick pick-me-up
- Dilute with a carrier oil and rub on your temples and the back of your neck to help enhance focus, increase energy, and refresh your day.
- Diffuse, sniff out of the bottle, or dilute a drop and swipe some under your nose to help you focus and help motivate you.
- Use either way as described above to help reduce stress and support your nervous system.
- Ease occasional headaches (this study is quite intriguing too)
Support Your Digestive System
- Rub over your abdominal area to help ease gas.
- Rub over your abdominal area to help sooth digestive upset.
- Stimulates your digestive system to function normally.
- Diffuse to crush those emotional food cravings.
- Use as directed above to help stop the hiccups.
Supports Your Respiratory System
- Helps support your upper respiratory system.
- Add a few drops to some carrier oil to soothe and cool sore muscles
- Diffuse or apply diluted to your temples or the back of your neck to support your breathing
- Add a few drops in an atomizer to create a cooling peppermint mist, perfect for summertime and workouts
- Deter ants by adding a drop of peppermint essential oil to a cotton ball (or spritz an area with a few drops shaken in a spray bottle filled with water).
Treats, with Peppermint Vitality essential oil
- Add 2 drops to the oil before mixing it into your brownie batter for a fresh change on brownies
- Add a couple drops when mixing frosting for cakes or cupcakes for a fun burst of flavor
- Replace the peppermint extract in your recipes for a drop of Peppermint Vitality essential oil.
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach.
- Sign up for my FREE 3-week essential oil email class, to learn the basics.
Peppermint (15ml), Item # 3641
Peppermint Vitality (5ml), Item # 5628
Speaking of peppermint essential oils, you can also find peppermint essential oil in a variety of pre-made essential oil blends and oil-infused products!
Essential Oil Blends
- Aroma Siez (relieve sore muscles and respiratory support)
- Breathe Again (respiratory support)
- Clarity (supports your nervous system and balances emotions)
- Deep Relief (relieve sore muscles)
- DiGize (digestion support)
- M-Grain (reduce head tension and provides support to your nervous system)
- Mister (supports glandular function and balances hormones, specifically in men)
- PanAway (relieve sore muscles and supports your nervous system)
- Progressence Plus (supports glandular function and balances hormones, specifically in women)
- Raven (boosts your immune system)
- RC (respiratory support)
- Relieve It (soothes sore muscles)
- SclarEssence (supports glandular functions and your digestive system, and balances hormones)
- Transformation (supports your nervous system, glandular function, and balances hormones and emotions)
- Ortho Ease Massage Oil
- Ortho Sport Massage Oil
- Relaxation Massage Oil
Oil-Infused Products containing Peppermint Essential Oil
- AromaGuard Mountain Mint Deodorant
- BLM (YL's supplement to specifically support bones, ligaments, and muscles)
- Cinnamint Lip Balm
- ComforTone (YL's supplement to aid in supporting your digestive system and boost your immune system)
- CortiStop (YL's supplement to support women's glandular functioning and balance hormones)
- Digest & Cleanse (YL's supplement to support the digestive system)
- Essentialzyme (YL's supplement to help support the digestive system)
- Lavender Mint Daily Shampoo and Conditioner (my personal favorite, nontoxic and invigorating)
- Mineral Essence (YL's supplement to help boost your mineral intake to support your nervous, cardiovascular, glandular and musculoskeletal systems, boost your immune system, and balance your hormones and emotions.)
- Morning Start Bath & Shower Gel and Bar Soap
- NingXia Nitro
- Peppermint-Cedarwood Bar Soap
- Prostate Health (YL's supplement to help support men's glandular function and balance hormones)
- Regenolone Moisturizing Cream (supports your nervous, glandular and musculoskeletal systems, balances hormones, and supports the skin)
- Satin Facial Scrub Mint (seriously the most invigorating, pampering scrub I've ever used on my face!)
- Slique Gum (curbs emotional eating and cravings)
- Thieves Toothpastes, Dental Floss, Mouthwash, Hand Purifier, and Lozenges
- Thyromin (YL's supplement to support the glandular system -specifically the thyroid- and balance hormones)