Sugar scrubs. They are fantastic to use to exfoliate for your skin and despite the high prices you’ll pay at the store and online for pre-made sugar scrubs, you can make them for relatively cheap. Plus making them yourself means you won’t be subjecting your body to artificial fragrances that can wreak havoc on your body.
The benefits of using sugar scrubs
Sugar is a natural humectant. This means sugar draws moisture from the environment into your skin, which helps hydrate your skin.
Sugar is a natural exfoliate. This means sugar helps buff away dead skin cells, which leaves your skin looking brighter and feeling lighter.
Sugar is a natural source of glycolic acid, which penetrates the skin and breaks down the bonds between your skin cells, encouraging new cells to replace old cells, providing you with fresher, younger-looking skin.
Sugar scrubs are made with a seed-based oil which leaves your skin smooth and hydrated.
Sugar scrubs that use essential oils for the scent offer additional wellness support and skin support properties as well. Lavender and frankincense are some of the most popular to use, as they are incredible for supporting the skin and anti-aging.
Homemade sugar scrub recipe:
Sugar scrubs couldn’t possibly be any easier to make. Bonus: they are some of the most appreciated special occasion gifts. With my family, my homemade sugar scrubs have been the most popular and now asked for Christmas and birthday gifts.
What you’ll need:
- 4 oz quilted mason jars
- Olive oil (we use organic olive oil from Costco)
- Granulated Sugar (we use the organic granulated sugar from Costco)
- Essential oils
How to put sugar scrubs together:
- In each 4oz jar add 1/2 cup of granulated sugar.
- Pour 1/8 cup of olive oil (any seed based oil will work) over the sugar in each jar.
- Add 15 drops of the essential oil or oil blend of your choice to each jar.
- Let sit long enough for the oil to surround all the sugar.
- Use or gift.
How to choose which essential oils to use:
For the batch pictured, I used Gentle Baby essential oil blend, Abundance essential oil blend, Release essential oil blend, Stress Away essential oil blend, and Sacred Mountain essential oil blend, sold by Young Living. We made 7 jars of each oil blend, for a total of 35 jars. Why? Because those particular batches were used as gifts for my sister-in-law’s baby shower and fit in perfectly with the new baby theme.
- Gentle Baby is the perfect essential oil blend for new moms.
- Abundance essential oil blend is fantastic for anyone wanting more abundance (of anything… love, finance, hugs…) in their lives.
- Release is great for new moms to let go of negative emotions and worries.
- Stress Away essential oil blend is a must have for any mom, especially new moms.
- Sacred Mountain is the perfect essential oil blend for pregnant mamas closing in on their due date and dealing with all the associated uneasiness and worries.
You can use any essential oil or blend you’d like. Here are a few of our favorites for supporting your skin:
- Lemon (reduces dark spots and brightens your skin, helps exfoliate)
- Lavender (anti-aging, reduces wrinkles)
- Frankincense (anti-aging, reduces wrinkles)
- Peppermint (energizing)
- Sandalwood (regenerates)
- Myrrh (especially helpful for dry or cracked skin)
- Chamomile (great for irritated skin)
Young Living essential oil blends we especially like for homemade skincare:
- Gentle Baby (promotes youthful skin)
- Joy (makes you feel loved)
- Sensation (makes you feel wanted, loved, and beautiful)
- Stress Away
Making these from scratch is quick, easy, and so much fun (especially when you have company helping). If you’re looking for a better sugar scrub to use on your face, use organic brown sugar instead of granulated white sugar. The brown sugar has smaller granules that are kinder to your face.
Have you tried making your own sugar scrubs yet? Which essential oils did you use (or want to use)?? Let us know in the comments.
Did you find this post helpful? If you enjoyed this post, please comment below and share.