Wintergreen has a very strong, fresh, minty aroma. My favorite use is for sore muscles after a workout, and also reducing post-workout soreness by applying it diluted on my legs prior to working out.
Wintergreen essential oil is excellent for:
- supporting the musculoskeletal system
- soothing sore muscles
- cleansing to your lymphatic system
- increasing your awareness
- boosting your sensory experiences
Our favorite uses for Wintergreen:
- After you finish your workout, rub a few drops of Wintergreen on the back of your neck, then place a cool, wet washcloth on top. Now that’s refreshing!
- Diffuse Wintergreen with Orange or Lemon to create an aroma that feels simultaneously invigorating and peaceful.
- Boost your massage experience by adding a few drops of Wintergreen to your favorite carrier oil for a tingling sensation that lasts.
Wintergreen essential oil is one of those oils that is perfect for sore muscles and invigorating when you wake up
- Dilute and massage on stiff, sore muscles and joints
- Make a linen spray with 7 drops of Balsam Fir, 5 drops of Sacred Frankincense, and 1 drop of wintergreen mixed in with 2 Tbsp of witchazel in a glass spray bottle filled the rest of the way with distilled or purified water. Shake before each use.
- Diffuse 2 drops of wintergreen and 1 drop of peppermint for a sweet candy aroma
- dilute and layer a drop of valor, wintergreen, and then RC (in that order) to rub on your heals for happy heals
- Diffuse 3 drops of wintergreen and 1 drop of cinnamon for a holiday type aroma that stimulates and increases awareness while purifying the air
- Diffuse 3 drops of stress away with one drop each of wintergreen and peppermint to make your house smell like a root beer float
- Diffuse 1 drop of wintergreen with 2 drops of spearmint to make your home smell like lifesavers
- Make roller ball with a 10ml roller bottle containing 10 drops each of wintergreen, eucalyptus, frankincense, and lemongrass, filled the rest of the way with a carrier oil and use on hands and other joints when they feel stiff and sore.
- Make a roller blend containing 10 drops each of cypress and peppermint, and 5 drops each of geranium, clary sage, lavender, chamomile, and witnergreen… fill the rest with a carrier oil and use during that time of the month when feeling crampy.
- Achy legs? dilute 2 drops of Thieves (or clove), wintergreen, and peppermint in your hand with a carrier oil and massage on your legs and feet.
- Dilute 1 drop per ml of carrier oil and use as a massage oil for your sore muscles after a work out. This also works pre-workout to reduce soreness afterwards.
** Please note, if you have epilepsy, you should avoid this oil blend (and any blend containing wintergreen).
Wintergreen essential oil pairs especially well with: basil, bergamot, chamomile, cypress, geranium, juniper, lavender, lemongrass, marjoram, peppermint, and rosewood essential oils.
A quick note about Wintergreen… Beware of scams!
A synthetic methyl salicylate (the common constituent in wintergreen) is now widely used as a flavoring agent, especially in root beer, gum, toothpaste, and more. The true essential oil is produced in such small quantities compared to the production and use of synthetic methyl salicylate, that I feel compelled to warn you about vetting your sources. Anyone wanting to use wintergreen essential oil for therapeutic purposes (or to avoid harmful chemicals) should verify the source of their oil to make sure they have a true oil and not a synthetic one.
Essential oils manufacturing are entirely unregulated by the FDA, USDA, and FTC. The only regulations for them are how they are marketed… ie we cannot discuss essential oils and medical needs… oils must be labeled with the amount, manufacturer location, brand contact info, brand, and a general description of the contents. “100% pure” is marketing. “_____ Grade” is marketing.
Where to find true wintergreen essential oil
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a impeccable standard for essential oils that by far exceeds the rest of the industry. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table approach to providing their customers with the best quality of essential oils possible. Each batch of oil is tested for quality at every phase through the creation process: choosing the seeds… at the harvest… during and after distillation… and at bottling. Quality control is handled both in house and tested by 3rd party labs. Any oil products not meeting their rigorous quality standards are returned to be used as compost and bug control (along with the used plant matter).
Did you find this post helpful? Please comment, share, and like this post to let us know to make more posts like it.
P.S. If you’re looking for more info about essential oils and living a nontoxic lifestyle, be sure to check out our membership page and come join our multinational high vibe online community!