Eucalyptus has an invigorating aroma that helps open up your breathing, brings on some extra energy, and also is very soothing to sore muscles.
Eucalyptus essential oil is created by steam distilling the plant's leaves.
Eucalyptus is generally not recommended for children under 6, however if you're going to use eucalyptus around kids, Eucalyptus Radiata is the most gentle one to use around them.
- 10+ Member Favorite Eucalyptus Essential Oil Uses and Benefits:
- What is the difference between the different types of eucalyptus?
- Using Eucalyptus Essential Oil Safely, and Frequently Asked Questions
- Is eucalyptus essential oil safe for cats or dogs?
- Is eucalyptus essential oil safe to use during pregnancy
- Is eucalyptus essential oil safe for babies?
- Is eucalyptus essential oil safe for kids?
- Can you ingest eucalyptus essential oil?
- Is it safe to inhale eucalyptus?
- Is eucalyptus oil the same as tea tree oil?
- Can you use eucalyptus essential oil in a humidifier?
- Which is better… peppermint or eucalyptus essential oil?
- What is a good substitute for eucalyptus essential oil?
- Don't see your question listed?
- Where to find quality eucalyptus essential oil
10+ Member Favorite Eucalyptus Essential Oil Uses and Benefits:
- Shower Melt-Away: mix 1 cup of baking soda with 1/3 cup of water and 20 drops of Eucalyptus oil. Add to the floor of your shower (not directly where the water lands) to allow the puck to slowly melt and steam up the oil.
- Drip a couple drops of Eucalyptus R. on a damp washrag hung over the shower head works great to diffuse in the shower.
- Add 3 drops each eucalyptus, peppermint, and lemon to the diffuser for a bright boost of energy and defeat feeling mentally sluggish
- Add 3 drops each eucyalyptus, peppermint, and lavender to a 10ml roller bottle filled with carrier oil to use on sore muscles – or massage in a lotion on sore muscles.
- Massage the blend above to your muscles prior to working out to reduce post-workout soreness
- Diffuse 2 drops each peppermint, eucalyptus, tea tree, and lemon for happy breathing
- Breathe Easy diffuser blend: 2 drops each lemongrass, lavender, and eucalyptus
- Mattress Spray: 3 drops each eucalyptus, lemon, lavender, tea tree, and peppermint into a 2 oz spray bottle filled 1/2 with witch hazel and 1/2 with distilled water.This is perfect to use when traveling, especially in hotels!
- Spicy & Fresh Diffuser Blend: 1 drop lemongrass, 2 drops eucalyptus, 1 drop cinnamon
- Beat muscle soreness with a 15ml roller bottle of 9 drops peppermint, 5 drops clove, 9 drops eucalyptus, 6 drops ginger, and fill the rest with a carrier oil.
- Defeat stiffness with a 10ml roller blend of 5 drops peppermint, 4 drops eucalyptus, 3 drops german chamomile, filled the rest of the way with a carrier oil.
- Add a drop of eucalyptus to your favorite unscented body wash base to create your own eucalyptus body wash (one drop per ml if you do the whole bottle… just make sure to mix it appropriately)
- Smoothes and soothes stressed skin when used topically (diluted)
- Using topically (diluted) on your skin may help your skin retain its moisture
- Add a drop to your shampoo to help with scalp health, itchy skin on your scalp, and dander.
- Add a few drops to your favorite cleaner or vinegar spray bottle to provide a refreshing aroma and enhance its cleaning properties.
Around my house where we are having some seasonal annoyances, Eucalyptus is a regularly used thing here! If you are getting ready for fall this one is a great one to have in arsenal for wellness!
** PLEASE NOTE ** Don't be fooled by clever marketing. Not all essential oils are created equally. Make sure you're not wasting your money on fake essential oils, or oils diluted in questionable solvents. Don't miss our guide on how to find quality essential oils to make sure you're not wasting your money on brands that carry out questionable or unethical practices.
What is the difference between the different types of eucalyptus?
Figuring out which eucalyptus essential oil to choose doesn't have to be a major chore.
4 of the most popular eucalyptus essential oil varieties include: Citriodora, Globulus, Blue, and Radiata. While they all help support healthy breathing, they each have subtle differences that may be more appropriate to use at different times.
Eucalyptus Citriodora (Lemon Eucalyptus)
Eucalyptus Citriodora is often also referred to as “Lemon Eucalyptus.” It has a sweeter aroma that almost resembles a citrusy lemon scent. It is a calming smell that can also help resolve anger.
Eucalyptus Globulus is what most people think of when they think of eucalyptus essential oil. It holds a much more pungent aroma, and is also excellent for soothing sore muscles after a hard workout in addition to helping support healthy respiration.
Eucalyptus Blue inspires a.sense of peacefulness, and may also increase metabolism. Its great to help support your overall immune functioning too.
Eucalyptus Radiata is a bit more gentle than the rest, which makes it more ideal for using around kids. It has a more cooling, refreshing, and energizing aroma to it, which makes Euc. R. an excellent oil to wake up to in the mornings.
Using Eucalyptus Essential Oil Safely, and Frequently Asked Questions
Be sure to always dilute eucalyptus essential oil prior to applying it to your skin. I recommend diluting one drop mer one ml of your favorite carrier oil.
Is eucalyptus essential oil safe for cats or dogs?
Generally, yes. Eucalyptus essential oil is great for helping with pest control with your dogs.
It is considered ok to use around cats, but be sure to allow your cats the ability to leave the room in case they need to take a break. Also remember they have an incredibly sensitive sense of smell… a little oil goes a LONG way.
If you plan to use essential oils around animals, I HIGHLY recommend picking yourself up a quality animal reference guide.
Is eucalyptus essential oil safe to use during pregnancy
I tend to recommend essential oil uses a bit more on the conservative side. I do not generally recommend using eucalyptus essential oil while pregnant, especially as a sole oil.
Is eucalyptus essential oil safe for babies?
I do not recommend using eucalyptus essential oil around babies. I also tend to lean a bit more on the conservative side of our oil use and recommendations. The only essential oils I recommend for babies is frankincense, lavender, and lemon, highly diluted.
Is eucalyptus essential oil safe for kids?
Typically you shouldn't use eucalyptus essential oil around kids younger than 6 in its pure form. If it is less than 40% of other essential oils good for kids, and you want to use it around your children, I recommend sticking with Eucalyptus Radiata (its gentler of the three).
Can you ingest eucalyptus essential oil?
No. Absolutely not. Eucalyptus essential oil is not to be used as a supplement, and may cause harm to your digestive system. Ingesting large amounts may be harmful.
Is it safe to inhale eucalyptus?
Absolutely yes. To use eucalyptus safely, you may diffuse it in a diffuser, on diffusing jewelry, or by diluting and applying to your skin. For more information about diffusing essential oils safely, check out our Diffusing Essential Oils Safely article.
Is eucalyptus oil the same as tea tree oil?
No. Eucalyptus and tea tree come from two very different trees, though grown in a similar environment. To learn more about tea tree, see our Tea Tree Essential Oil article.
Can you use eucalyptus essential oil in a humidifier?
Before using eucalyptus essential oil in your humidifier, be sure to check your humidifier's warranty and use guidelines. Many humidifiers state that using essential oils in them will void your warranty. Very few humidifiers do allow for essential oils to be used in them.
Instead, get yourself a good essential oil diffuser.
Which is better… peppermint or eucalyptus essential oil?
Both eucalyptus and peppermint essential oils have benefits to each of them that would prove to be helpful in different circumstances and blends. To see some great ideas for how to use peppermint essential oil, check out our peppermint essential oil article.
What is a good substitute for eucalyptus essential oil?
- Tea Tree
Don't see your question listed?
Have a question you don't see? You're welcome to ask in the comments or fill out this form to ask anonymously.
Where to find quality eucalyptus essential oil
We order our oils from Young Living because of their true farm-to-table approach that is difficult to find without growing the trees and distilling the oils yourself. Since DIY isn't realistic when it comes to making essential oils, we love Young Living's dedication to sustainable farming without pesticides and thorough quality control methods.
Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach.
Warning: DO NOT purchase your oils through Amazon or similar websites!
Any website that allows anyone to sell on, such as Amazon, eBay, Walmart… etc… are terrible places to purchase essential oils. While you may get a “good deal,” knowing who you're purchasing from is difficult. There are many counterfeit essential oils being sold that are causing health ailments, major skin reactions, and a lot of misery. These are NOT high-quality essential oils. They are fakes being sold purely for profit.
I also do NOT recommend purchasing from grocery stores, Walmart, Target, department stores, or drug stores. Many of the brands found at those stores have been proven to not actually contain any essential oil (which is perfectly legal to do).
I STRONGLY suggest you know the company that makes your oils, how the plants are cared for, what they do for distilling, how and how many times each batch is tested (and when), and their bottling processes. Many companies throw out fancy language for marketing purposes, but actually have no clue how their oils are made because the oils come from a broker (which are almost always diluted in solvents). Transparency is key.
I highly encourage you to check out our How To Find Quality Essential Oils post for in-depth information about why quality matters, and what to look for.
Where we purchase our essential oils, and why
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than the rest of the industry. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach. This company has proven to me time and time again to be the closest thing out there to buying from your local farmer. They are totally transparent in their processes, and even open their farms so you can see for yourself (or involve yourself in the process).
Other Young Living products that contain Lemongrass Essential Oil include:
- AromaGuard Mountain Mint Deodorant (eucalyptus radiata)
- Breathe Again Essential Oil Blend Roll On (eucalyptus blue, globulus, and radiata)
- Inner Defense wellness supplement (eucalyptus radiata)
- Kidscents Slique Toothpaste (eucalyptus radiata)
- Ortho Ease Massage Oil (eucalyptus globulus and radiata)
- Ortho Sport Massage Oil (eucalyptus globulus)
- Raven Essential Oil Blend (eucalyptus radiata)
- R.C. Essential Oil Blend (eucalyptus citriodora, globulus, and radiata)
- Thieves Essential Oil Blend (eucalyptus radiata)
- Thieves Aromabright Toothpaste (eucalyptus radiata)
- Thieves Cleansing Soap (eucalyptus radiata)
- Thieves Dental Floss (eucalyptus radiata)
- Thieves Dentarome Plus Toothpaste (eucalyptus radiata)
- Thieves Dentarome Ultra Toothpaste (eucalyptus globulus and radiata)
- Thieves Foaming Hand Soap (eucalyptus radiata)
- Thieves Fresh Essence Plus Mouthwash (eucalyptus radiata)
- Thieves Household Cleaner (eucalyptus radiata)
- Thieves Lozenges (eucalyptus radiata)
- Thieves Spray (eucalyptus radiata)
- Thieves Waterless Hand Sanitizer (eucalyptus radiata)
- Thieves Wipes
Did you find this post helpful? Please let us know in the comments what your favorite ways to use eucalyptus essential oil is!
P.S. If you need some essential oils, we provide special coaching, resources, and support groups for our members. Just head over to my page for info on how to create an account.