Lemon essential oil is cold-pressed from the rinds of lemons, giving its aroma all the brightness of the freshly picked fruit. Cheerful, sweet, and nostalgic, Lemon oil can eliminate odors and infuse your whole home with its clean, lemon-drop scent when diffused.
With its bright and joyful aroma, Lemon oil benefits skin and hair as much as its aroma benefits your environment. Your teens can add a drop to their evening moisturizer to reduce the appearance of blemishes, while you can add it to your conditioner for an aromatic treat that smoothes and shines the look of your hair. Because some citrus oils like Lemon can cause photosensitivity, avoid applying to exposed skin before spending time outside.
- 50+ Uses and Benefits of Lemon Essential Oil
- Using Lemon Essential Oil To Enhance Your Focus
- Use Lemon Essential Oil To Purify Your Air
- Use Lemon Essential Oil To Enhance Your Oral Health
- Support Digestion Using Lemon Essential Oil
- Support Your Hair, Skin, and Nail Health with Lemon Essential Oil
- Cleaning with Lemon Essential Oil
- Feel Good and Enhance Your Wellness with Lemon Essential Oil
- Member Favorite DIY Diffuser Blends Featuring Lemon Essential Oil
- Recipe Ideas Using Lemon Vitality Essential Oil
- Frequently Asked Questions about Lemon Essential Oil
- Is lemon essential oil safe to use while pregnant?
- Is lemon essential oil safe for kids and babies?
- Is lemon essential oil safe for dogs and cats?
- What oils are good substitutes for lemon essential oil?
- Can you use lemon essential oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, and lemon extract interchangeably?
- Don’t see an answer to the question you have about lemon essential oil?
- Where To Find Lemon Essential Oil
- Products Containing Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon naturally contains constituents including d-limonene, b-pinenes, gamma-terpinene, ,a-terpineol, a-pinene, and geranial. (If you’re a little nerdy like me, you won’t want to miss out on seeing the health benefits those constituents have… some may surprise you!)
50+ Uses and Benefits of Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil has a mellow, yet refreshingly invigorating and uplifting aroma. Lemon helps to promote overall health, healing, and purification, boosts physical energy.
** PLEASE NOTE ** Don’t be fooled by clever marketing. Not all essential oils are created equally. Make sure you’re not wasting your money on fake essential oils, or oils diluted in questionable solvents (even if they’re labeled as “pure essential oil.” Don’t miss our complete guide on how to find quality essential oils to ensure you’re not wasting your money on brands of oils that legally carry out questionable or unethical practices and mislead you through deceitful marketing practices.
Using Lemon Essential Oil To Enhance Your Focus
Japanese research scientists who conducted a study about the effect of lemon essential oil on the ability to focus reported that diffusing lemon essential oil into an office environment dramatically improved mental accuracy and concentration. The research results showed that the typical mistakes were reduced by 54% when lemon oil was diffused into the office or work room.
Use Lemon Essential Oil To Purify Your Air
- Diffuse to cleanse and purify the air
- Add to water to purify the water
Use Lemon Essential Oil To Enhance Your Oral Health
- Add to coconut oil to enhance oil pulling
- may help whiten teeth
Support Digestion Using Lemon Essential Oil
- Dilute and rub over your abdomen to support your digestive tract and related organs
- Supports your immune system
- Calms your stomach
- Drink 4 oz apple cider vinegar, 2 drops lemon vitality essential oil, and 3 oz of water to help curb morning sickness (this was a life saver for me during my second pregnancy)
Support Your Hair, Skin, and Nail Health with Lemon Essential Oil
- Nourishes your skin, reducing breakouts
- Helps remove dead skin cells, making your skin look brighter
- Add to a homemade sugar scrub to help refresh dry, winter skin
- Tightens hair follicles and supports the skin surrounding the hair, reducing the greasy look
- Strengthens nail beds
- Dilute lemon with some sweet almond oil (or your favorite carrier oil) and place on dark spots on your skin to brighten them up.
** Lemon is a photosensitive oil, which means you should avoid allowing direct sunlight shine on the area you’ve applied lemon essential oil to for at least 12 hours. Direct sunlight exposure within 12 hours of application can produce skin irritation similar to a sunburn.
A carrier oil can be any cold-pressed, seed-based oil (ideally organic and unrefined). This includes most cooking oil, like coconut oil, avocado oil, and olive oils. Personally, we LOVE using sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil, and the V6 Carrier oil (made by Young Living).
Cleaning with Lemon Essential Oil
- Add a few drops to your favorite cleaner
- Add 16 drops to a 16 oz glass spray bottle filled with vinegar or hydrogen peroxide to use as a homemade cleaner
- Use to polish silver
- Add to olive oil to polish wood furniture, kitchen cabinets, or sculptures
- Use to remove wood stains
- Removes sticky glue residue
- Clean grease from your hands or household items using lemon essential oil (works great for automotive hobbyists)
- Clean leather using lemon essential oil
- Polish and clean your guitar or other wood instruments using our wood polish recipe (linked above)
Feel Good and Enhance Your Wellness with Lemon Essential Oil
- Makes you feel happier and lighter
- Helps you be able able to think more clearly
- Cleanses and drains the lymphatic system
- Supports your respiratory system
- Aids in supporting the creation of red blood cells
- Can assist you in losing weight
- Helps reduce your body’s response to stress
- Promotes an overall feeling of wellbeing
- Enhances effects of oils its blended with
- May help with tumors, according to this study
- Diffusing lemon essential oil may help you kick alcoholism
- Diffuse lemon, lavender, and peppermint to help with seasonal sinus discomfort
Keep in mind, essential oils are not medicine. One use may have noticeable effects, but more often you will need to incorporate them into your lifestyle to maximize the benefits you receive from them.
Member Favorite DIY Diffuser Blends Featuring Lemon Essential Oil
- Focus, Energize, and Be More Productive: 3 drops lemon, 2 drops peppermint in the diffuser
- Deep Breath Diffuser Blend: 3 drops each: lemon, lavender, peppermint when pollen outside becomes too much to bear (replace peppermint with goldenrod for obnoxious ragweed attacks)
- Clean Home Diffuser Blend: 6 drops lemon, 4 drops lavender, 2 drops lime
- Homemade Thieves Diffuser Blend: 2 drops each rosemary, cinnamon, lemon, eucalyptus, and clove essential oils
- Germs Be Gone Diffuser Blend: 2 drops each peppermint, lavender, lemon, and tea tree essential oils
- Immune Bomb Diffuser Blend: 2 drops each of Thieves and frankincense, 1 drop each lemon and tea tree essential oils
- Clean and Fresh Diffuser Blend: 3 drops each peppermint, lemon, and tea tree essential oil blend
- April Showers Diffuser Blend: 3 drops lemongrass and eucalyptus essential oils with 2 drops each lavender and lemon essential oils
- Key Lime Pie Diffuser Blend: 3 drops lime essential oil, 4 drops Stress Away essential oil blend, and 1 drop lemon essential oil
- Energize! Diffuser Blend: 3 drops lemon, 2 drops rosemary, 1 drop Motivation essential oils
- Sleeping Beauty Diffuser Blend: 3 drops each lemon and lavender essential oils
- Fresh Air Diffuser Blend: 2 drops each of tea tree, lemon, and lime essential oils
- Kicking Coughs Diffuser Blend: 3 drops each lemon, rosemary, tea tree, peppermint, and eucalyptus essential oils
- Night Time Wind Down Diffuser Blend: 4 drops lavender, 2 drops each of rosemary and lemon essential oils
- Fresh Start Diffuser Blend: 3 drops lemon essential oil with 2 drops each of eucalyptus and sage essential oils
- Renew and Refresh Diffuser Blend: 3 drops of lemon essential oil with 2 drops each of eucalyptus and lime essential oils
- Memory Booster Diffuser Blend: 2 drops lemon essential oil with 1 drop of basil essential oil
- Perk up Essential Oil Blend: 2 drops each of lemon, orange, peppermint, and rosemary essential oils
- Floral Fresh Essential Oil Blend: 3 drops lemon essential oil, 2 drops lavender essential oil, and 1 drop geranium essential oil
- Spring Rain Diffuser Blend: 3 drops each vetiver and lemon essential oils
- Tension Melt Diffuser Blend: 4 drops lavender essential oil with 2 drops each of lemongrass, lemon, and peppermint essential oils
- Good Vibes Diffuser Blend: 1 drop lavender essential oil with 2 drops each of orange, cinnamon bark, and lemon essential oils
- Ocean Breeze Diffuser Blend: 4 drops lemon essential oil with 3 drops ylang ylang essential oil
- Lemonade Stand Diffuser Blend: 4 drops lemon essential oil with 1 drop each of spearmint and basil essential oils
- Orchard Walk Diffuser Blend: 4 drops each bergamot, lemon, and black spruce essential oils
- Inner Peace Diffuser Blend: 4 drops of lavender essential oil with 2 drops each of lemon and ylang ylang essential oils
Recipe Ideas Using Lemon Vitality Essential Oil
- Add a few drops to your frosting recipe for a lovely lemon flavor (an excellent replacement for lemon extract, which is just made with lemon essential oil diluted in alcohol)
- Use approximately 1 drop per 5 ml of olive oil to infuse your olive oil with lemon. This is lovely to use as a salad dressing or to dress up fish and other veggies.
- Add 5 drops to your favorite blue berry muffin or pancake recipe, and add some fresh fruit on top too!
- Use lemon vitality essential oil in your homemade pickles
- Add a few drops to a TBS of honey or stevia, then mix with water for a lovely lemon flavored water
- Create custom vinaigrettes or marinades to add a bright taste to summer salads and grilling.
- Use a drop of lemon vitality essential oil in your tea (like this Thieves Tea)… just dilute it in honey before adding your water
- Use a drop of lemon vitality in your favorite baked goods, homemade preserves, and other treats.
- Add 1 drop in plain or vanilla yogurt. Top with fresh berries.
- Combine a drop of lemon vitality with savory foods such as chicken, fish, shrimp, and vegetables and with sides such as noodles, rice, or pasta salad.
- Use 2 drops of lemon essential oil with a bunch of broccoli, a minced clove of garlic, a pinch of salt, and 1.5 Tbsp of olive oil for a delicious side dish, lunch, or snack.
- Add to rice when making Indian dishes
- Add to your favorite pancake or waffle mix
- Lavender Lemonade to keep you calm and cool
Yes, you can add lemon oil to your water… just be sure to do it in a safe manner. Remember, oil and water doesn’t mix.
Drinks & Appetizers
Frequently Asked Questions about Lemon Essential Oil
Is lemon essential oil safe to use while pregnant?
Yes. Generally lemon essential oil is considered safe to use while you’re pregnant.
If you’re using oils while pregnant, I highly recommend this reference guide. It contains some great advice for using essential oils while pregnant, plus some DIY Recipes you’ll love too.
Is lemon essential oil safe for kids and babies?
Generally, yes. Though I do highly recommend only using lavender and frankincense on or around newborns.
Is lemon essential oil safe for dogs and cats?
Lemon essential oil is safe to use with your dogs. It is NOT safe to use around cats.
If you’re using essential oils around your family pets, be sure to allow them access out of the room and into a room where you’re not diffusing. This way they’re able to escape when they feel they’ve had enough. Please also consider picking up a reference guide specific to using essential oils with animals.
What oils are good substitutes for lemon essential oil?
Any citrus oil would be a good replacement for lemon essential oil. Lime, orange, bergamot, lemon myrtle, or a citrus blend like Citrus Fresh would be my ideal options.
Can you use lemon essential oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, and lemon extract interchangeably?
For the most part, yes. Lemon essential oil will most closely resemble lemon zest when it comes to flavor. We do use lemon essential oil all the time in place of lemon juice and extract, especially during our life seasons where we live full time in our RV.
Generally, I use one drop of lemon essential oil per tsp of juice and extract in a recipe.
Don’t see an answer to the question you have about lemon essential oil?
Have a question you don’t see? You’re welcome to ask in the comments or fill out this form to ask anonymously.
Where To Find Lemon Essential Oil
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach.
Warning: DO NOT purchase your oils through Amazon or similar websites!
Any website that allows anyone to sell on, such as Amazon, eBay, Walmart… etc… are terrible places to purchase essential oils. While you may get a “good deal,” knowing who you’re purchasing from is difficult. There are many counterfeit essential oils being sold that are causing health ailments, major skin reactions, and a lot of misery. These are NOT high quality essential oils. They are fakes being sold purely for profit.
I also do NOT recommend purchasing from grocery stores, Walmart, Target, department stores, or drug stores. Many of the brands found at those stores have been proven to not actually contain any essential oil (which is perfectly legal to do).
I STRONGLY suggest you know the company that makes your oils, how the plants are cared for, what they do for distilling, how and how many times each batch is tested (and when), and their bottling processes. Many companies throw out fancy language for marketing purposes, but actually have no clue how their oils are made because the oils come from a broker (which are almost always diluted in solvents). Transparency is key.
I highly encourage you to check out our How To Find Quality Essential Oils post for in-depth information about why quality matters, and what to look for.
Where we purchase our essential oils, and why
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach. This company has proven to me time and time again to be the closest thing out there to buying from your local farmer. They are totally transparent in their processes, and even open their farms so you can see for yourself (or involve yourself in the process).
And don’t forget to check out our membership page where we show you how to get lemon essential oil in with our starter kit that also gives you 24% discount on all future essential oil and essential oil infused product purchases through our our membership program.
Products Containing Lemon Essential Oil
Did you find this post helpful? If you enjoyed this post, please comment below and share.
P.S. If you’d like more info about how to use essential oils or our favorite tips, tricks, hacks, DIY recipes, food recipes, and enjoy a wonderful online community… head over to our Membership Page to learn how you can join us.