Have you heard?? We just read through an article by one of our favorite physicians, Dr Mercola, where he discussed how plastic microbeads have been found in 90% of sea salt!
If you haven’t read the article, you can read it here >> Ninety Percent of Sea Salt Contains Plastic
But we need salt… right?
This makes me cringe a little. Salt is in everything, unless you’re making 100% of your food from organic whole food ingredients… and even then you’re not 100% safe from an unexpected plastic/petrochemical invasion.
- The Effect of Salt Deficiency in man on the Volume of the Extracellular Fluides, and on the Composition of Sweat, Salive,Gastric Juice and Cerebrospinal Fluid
- The response of the kidney to an alkalosis during salt deficiency
Salt is also very much needed for our bodies to thrive. Plastic… not so much. I can confidently say we will never see a day where respectable doctors insist we are sick because of a “plastic deficiency.”
- Microplastics in bivalves cultured for human consumption
- Human body burdens of chemicals used in plastic manufacture
- Plastics, the environment and human health: current consensus and future trends
So what can you do to prevent ingesting plastic?
Well, when you’re home, it is easy. You can swap your sea salt for the Himalayan Pink Salt and not have to worry about it.
But when you’re not home… you really don’t have control over what type of salt is being used. This is where it is important to know how to help your body release the plastics and not just bioaccumulate, storing it in your fat cells, liver, or kidneys.
Reducing Harm and Detoxing
Thankfully, nature always provides help to everything.
Routinely detoxing your body is an excellent idea. This helps remove particles from your digestive tract that could end up disrupting your intestinal lining, causing “leaky gut” issues that could aggravate autoimmune issues, candida overgrowth, compromise your immune system, reduce your ability to focus, cause excess weight… and more unpleasant health issues.
Great ways to detox:
- Activated Charcoal taken as a supplement
- Methylated Folate (vitamin B9) taken in a supplement
- Bentonite Clay in a supplement or detox bath
- Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) in a supplement or detox bath
- Chlorella in a supplement
- Enzyme supplements, especially with probiotics and prebiotics
- Spirulina in a supplement
- Green Tea
How to detox
If you’re like my family, you probably grew up using plastic items. You may have in the past used toothpaste or other items that contained plastic micro-beads. Or perhaps you ingested plastic on accident with it seeping into food when heating up left overs using plastic containers.
We do routine gentle detoxes because I’ve been either pregnant or breastfeeding our children for the past 6 years… and times of breastfeeding are not good times for detoxing because of how easy it is to dislodge toxins inside you that could contaminate your milk supply. Under the advice of my chiropractor who specializes in nutrition, we chose to go as gentle as possible.
We used the supplements linked above, did detox baths, and ate high nutritional diets based on real whole foods.
Essential Oils for Detox
Essential oils may also help support your body through its natural detox process.
And in this case, one of our favorite oils comes in to help. Lemon essential oil. Lemon essential oil is known for dissolving petrochemicals and plastics.
In fact, one of the articles we read on Google Scholar (one of our favorite research websites where you only see scientific results) even talked about how using lemon essential oil is the future of recycling for plastic items discarded!
Not just lemon… there are several essential oils that aid in your body’s natural detox process.
- Grapefruit essential oil – helps activate enzymes that breaks down body fat, cleanses lymphatic glands, and reduces cravings.
- Ginger essential oil – in addition to soothing your digestive system and helping you feel not so inflamed, ginger is also very helpful with burning fat and boosting metabolism. This helps dislodge toxins from your fat cells so your body can remove them from your body.
- Lemon essential oil – dissolves petrochemicals, helps support your liver, kidneys, and digestive tract.
- Cinnamon essential oil – helps support healthy insulin levels, cuts sugar cravings, and helps reduce overeating… this allows your body to handle the fat storage, where most harmful chemicals (including plastics) are stored.
- Patchouli essential oil – digests toxic wastes
- Lemongrass essential oil – supports increasing lymphatic circulation for toxin removal
So… how do you use these oils for supporting your body through its detoxification process??
Dilute them, and apply them over your belly, liver area, the arches of your feet, and around your ankles.
You can also cook with them, take supplements that contain them, or diffuse them.
If you found this post helpful, please like, comment, and share!
PS Research shows that just 3 days without exposure to harmful chemicals is enough for your body to start purging them. If youâre looking for more information about removing toxins from your home and body, be sure to check out our Healthy Home Happy Life course! In this course, you’ll learn all about which harmful chemicals to avoid, how to identify them on the label, and safe alternatives to use when swapping harmful products for safe ones.
Resources For This Article:
- How to Detoxify Plastics
- Plastic Contaminating Water â Rodaleâs Organic Life
- Invisibles â The plastic inside us
- 7 Ways to Drain BPA from the Body
- BPA-Free Plastic Containers May Be Just as Hazardous â Scientific America
- Transport and release of chemicals from plastics to the environment and to wildlife â NCBI
- The ameliorative effect of black tea extract and quercetin on bisphenol A-induced cytotoxicity â Research Gate
- Nutrients that Protect Against BPA â Beyond Health News
- Toxicology and Industrial Health â Sage Journals
- Maternal nutrient supplementation counteracts bisphenol A-induced DNA hypomethylation in early development â PNAS
- Chlorella vs. Spirulina, Which Algae is the Best? â Radiant Life Catalog