Thieves essential oil blend has its roots deep in history. It was created from research based on the infamous 15th century thieves who rubbed oils and herbs on themselves to avoid contracting the plague while they robbed bodies of the dead and dying. Legend has it they told their secret recipe to the King of France to be spared the death penalty. To honor their story, Young Living formulated their proprietary, immune boosting Thieves essential oil blend.
- What is Thieves Essential Oil Blend made of?
- How to use Thieves Essential Oil Blend Safely
- Our favorite recipes featuring Thieves Vitality Essential Oil Blend
- Frequently Asked Questions about Thieves Essential Oil Blend
- Is Thieves essential oil blend safe for dogs?
- Is Thieves Essential Oil Blend safe for cats?
- What is the difference between Thieves and Thieves vitality essential oils?
- Is Thieves essential oil safe to use while pregnant?
- Is Thieves essential oil safe for kids and babies?
- Can you be allergic to Thieves essential oil?
- Should you use Thieves essential oil if you’re taking medication?
- How often should you use Thieves essential oil?
- Don’t see an answer to the question you have about Thieves essential oil?
- Where to Buy Thieves Essential Oil Blend
- How do you use Thieves Essential Oil Blend?
What is Thieves Essential Oil Blend made of?
Thieves essential oil blend is formulated with clove, lemon, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus radiata, and rosemary essential oils.
- Clove essential oil – Clove supports your cardiovascular, respiratory, digestive, and immune systems. It’s a fantastic addition to oral hygiene and aids in anti-aging. It is also a stimulant, influencing focus, stimulates dreams, and creates a sense of protection and courage.
- Lemon essential oil – Lemon supports your respiratory, digestive, immune systems and is also great for skin health too. It’s largely used in skin care for its cleansing and anti aging properties. Lemon improves memory and concentration, reduces stress, and increases alertness.
- Cinnamon Bark essential oil – Cinnamon essential oil is known for its immune boosting properties.
- Eucalyptus Radiata essential oil – Eucalyptus Radiata helps support and purify your respiratory system and boosts your immune system. It’s also energizing and soothing.
- Rosemary – Rosemary supports your circulatory, digestive, immune, and musculoskeletal systems. It also stimulates hair follicles and mental focus.
DIY Thieves Essential Oil Blend
In an empty 15ml bottle combine:
- 40 drops of Clove essential oil
- 35 drops of Lemon essential oil
- 20 drops of Cinnamon essential oil
- 15 drops of Eucalyptus Radiata essential oil
- 10 drops of Rosemary essential oil
This will give you 120 drops. From there you can fill it the rest of the way with your favorite carrier oil and top with a roller fitment to create your own roller bottle. Or you can cut the recipe in half for a 10ml sized bottle.
A carrier oil can be any cold-pressed, seed-based oil (ideally organic and unrefined). This includes most cooking oil, like coconut oil, avocado oil, and olive oils. Personally, we LOVE using sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil, and the V6 Carrier oil (made by Young Living).
How to use Thieves Essential Oil Blend Safely
There are three main ways to use Thieves essential oil blend:
- Aromatically – diffusing or wearing in diffusing jewelry
- Topically – diluting and applying to your skin
- Ingesting – using pre-made supplements, or in specifically designed recipes
If you’re going to apply Thieves to your skin, always be sure to dilute it. To dilute it, I always recommend 1 drop to 1ml of carrier oil (any cold-pressed seed oil, like sweet almond, grapeseed, coconut, avocado, coconut… etc).
How does Thieves Essential Oil Blend work?
Thieves essential oil blend is comprised of 5 essential oils that are all very well known and studied to have immune supporting functions. When using it topically (diluted) or aromatically, your body absorbs the oil, and uses it where it needs it the most.
Our Favorite Ways to use Thieves Essential Oil Blend:
- Dilute a drop per ml (or 5 drops per tsp) of carrier oil, such as coconut or sweet almond oil, and rub on the bottom of your feet, over your belly, and/or over your chest to help boost your immune system.
- Diffuse to purify and cleanse the air
- I love adding a couple drops of orange essential oil to Thieves in the diffuser – it reminds me of Thanksgiving
- Make an immune-boosting sugar scrub
- Add it to coconut oil to enhance your oil pulling
- Add Thieves Vitality to your oil pulling routine
- Add Thieves to your homemade toothpaste
- Add Thieves to homemade play dough to boost your children’s immune systems while they play
- Diffuse Thieves with a drop of lavender in the evenings to help support your immune functioning and relax
- Add to your homemade cleaning products
- Add a drop of Thieves Vitality to a tsp of salt and warm water to gargle for a sore throat
- Use Thieves Spray or dilute and use Thieves Mouthwash as a throat spray for a sore throat
Our favorite recipes featuring Thieves Vitality Essential Oil Blend
- Put a drop of Thieves Vitality in a tsp of honey and dissolve in a mug of warm water for a soothing Thieves Tea
- Use in place of pumpkin pie seasoning (1 drop per TBS)
Frequently Asked Questions about Thieves Essential Oil Blend
Is Thieves essential oil blend safe for dogs?
Yes, as long as you use it properly. Thieves essential oil may be beneficial to dogs.
My aunt loves diffusing Thieves for her dogs. She often finds her little dogs curled up around the diffuser every time she diffuses any. She especially loves how it seems one doesn’t cough nearly as much as normal when he hangs out near the mist.
Just ensure if you’re diffusing around your dogs to allow them a way to escape the room if they decide they’ve had enough.
Is Thieves Essential Oil Blend safe for cats?
I would be very cautious using any essential oil on cats because they metabolize differently. Thieves oil does contain lemon, which all citrus oils should be avoided with cats.
If you have pets in your home, I highly recommend having an animal essential oil reference book.
What is the difference between Thieves and Thieves vitality essential oils?
Absolutely nothing aside from the label printed. They are 100% the exact same oil the may be used in the exact same ways interchangeably. Young Living adopted the Vitality label in 2015 to remain legal with the FDA and FTC’s marketing requirements that state a supplement cannot be labeled as topical and oral at the same time.
This means legally, you cannot discuss using an essential oil in your cooking, baking, drinks, or any oral supplement form if it is the same bottle you’re discussing using in your diffuser or topically on your skin.
To reduce confusion and stay in the eyes in the law, Young Living separated their labels to compliantly discuss all the benefits essential oils can provide in all use capacities.
Is Thieves essential oil safe to use while pregnant?
Yes. Generally Thieves essential oil is considered safe to use while you’re pregnant.. just please dilute more than normal. I recommend one drop per 5ml of your favorite carrier oil.
If you’re using oils while pregnant, I highly recommend this reference guide. It contains some great advice for using essential oils while pregnant, plus some DIY Recipes you’ll love too.
Is Thieves essential oil safe for kids and babies?
Generally, yes, diluted much more than normal. Though I do highly recommend only using lavender and frankincense on or around newborns.
While essential oils may be safe for kids to use, please do not have your child use an essential oil internally without being under the direct guidance of a naturopathic doctor.
Can you be allergic to Thieves essential oil?
There are a few reasons why you would experience an allergy-like reaction to essential oils. Usually, this is caused by not diluting the oil you’re applying (or not diluting it enough). Please refer to our essential oils and allergies article for more in-depth information.
Should you use Thieves essential oil if you’re taking medication?
This is a very personal question, and really depend on which medications you’re taking. I have an entire article dedicated to known medication contraindications that I highly recommend you check out… in addition to having a lengthy conversation with your local aromatherapist or pharmacist.
How often should you use Thieves essential oil?
This is also a personal question. This depends on what you’re using it for and how experienced you are using it. For beginners, I recommend only diffusing for 30 minutes at a time, then giving your body an hour break. If you diffuse too much, you could end up light headed. Personally, I have a diffuser running most of the day intermittently (using the intermittent setting on our diffuser). Or I’ll wear a piece of diffusing jewelry with 3 drops of oil on it throughout the day (those 3 drops usually last a few days). Check out our article about diffusing essential oils safely for more info.
Don’t see an answer to the question you have about Thieves essential oil?
Have a question you don’t see? You’re welcome to ask in the comments or fill out this form to ask anonymously.
Where to Buy Thieves Essential Oil Blend
Thieves Essential Oil Blend is a proprietary blend made by Young Living.
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach.
Warning: DO NOT purchase your oils through Amazon or similar websites!
Any website that allows anyone to sell on, such as Amazon, eBay, Walmart… etc… are terrible places to purchase essential oils. While you may get a “good deal,” knowing who you’re purchasing from is difficult. There are many counterfeit essential oils being sold that are causing health ailments, major skin reactions, and a lot of misery. These are NOT high quality essential oils. They are fakes being sold purely for profit.
I also do NOT recommend purchasing from grocery stores, Walmart, Target, department stores, or drug stores. Many of the brands found at those stores have been proven to not actually contain any essential oil (which is perfectly legal to do).
I STRONGLY suggest you know the company that makes your oils, how the plants are cared for, what they do for distilling, how and how many times each batch is tested (and when), and their bottling processes. Many companies throw out fancy language for marketing purposes, but actually have no clue how their oils are made because the oils come from a broker (which are almost always diluted in solvents). Transparency is key.
I highly encourage you to check out our How To Find Quality Essential Oils post for in-depth information about why quality matters, and what to look for.
Where we purchase our essential oils, and why
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach. This company has proven to me time and time again to be the closest thing out there to buying from your local farmer. They are totally transparent in their processes, and even open their farms so you can see for yourself (or involve yourself in the process).
- Sign up for my online essential oil email class, to learn the basics.
How do you use Thieves Essential Oil Blend?
I would love to hear about it in the comments below!
If you enjoyed this post, please comment below and share with your friends and to your favorite Pinterest board to save it for later. Our website team LOVES to hear about your personal experiences and wins using essential oils.
Let’s Connect! You can find me on social media at:
Don’t miss out on free essential oils, discounts on essential oil infused household products and healthy lifestyle coaching! Join our membership today for product discounts and complimentary coaching!
Looking for more info about essential oils and adopting a healthier lifestyle? Be sure to check out our online courses over at www.essentialoils.life/shop/ or enroll in our free Intro to Essential Oils Email Class