Thieves essential oil blend has its roots deep in history. It was created from research based on the infamous 15th century thieves who rubbed oils and herbs on themselves to avoid contracting the plague while they robbed bodies of the dead and dying. Legend has it they told their secret recipe to the King of France to be spared the death penalty. To honor their story, Young Living formulated their proprietary, immune boosting Thieves essential oil blend.
- What is Thieves Essential Oil Blend, and how it is made
- Safety tips for using Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Our 20 favorite ways to use Thieves Essential Oil Blend
- Our favorite recipes featuring Thieves Vitality Essential Oil Blend
- Frequently Asked Questions about Thieves Essential Oil Blend
- Where you can find Thieves Essential Oil Blend to buy, and how much it costs
What is Thieves Essential Oil Blend made of?
Thieves essential oil blend is formulated with clove, lemon, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus radiata, and rosemary essential oils.
- Clove essential oil – Clove supports your cardiovascular, respiratory, digestive, and immune systems. It’s a fantastic addition to oral hygiene and aids in anti-aging. It is also a stimulant, influencing focus, stimulates dreams, and creates a sense of protection and courage.
- Lemon essential oil – Lemon supports your respiratory, digestive, immune systems and is also great for skin health too. It’s largely used in skin care for its cleansing and anti aging properties. Lemon improves memory and concentration, reduces stress, and increases alertness.
- Cinnamon Bark essential oil – Cinnamon essential oil is known for its immune boosting properties.
- Eucalyptus Radiata essential oil – Eucalyptus Radiata helps support and purify your respiratory system and boosts your immune system. It’s also energizing and soothing.
- Rosemary – Rosemary supports your circulatory, digestive, immune, and musculoskeletal systems. It also stimulates hair follicles and mental focus.
DIY Thieves Essential Oil Blend
In an empty 15ml bottle combine:
- 40 drops of Clove essential oil
- 35 drops of Lemon essential oil
- 20 drops of Cinnamon essential oil
- 15 drops of Eucalyptus Radiata essential oil
- 10 drops of Rosemary essential oil
Need empty bottles? You can order them from any bottle supply shop that offers essential oil bottles, or even off of Amazon. Personally, we save our old essential oil bottles, remove the labels, and reuse the bottles. To reuse your bottles, ensure they are clean by soaking the empty bottle disassembled, and boil it for at least 15 minutes. Then let dry.
How to use Thieves Essential Oil Blend Safely
There are three main ways to use Thieves essential oil blend:
- Aromatically – diffusing or wearing in diffusing jewelry
- Topically – diluting and applying to your skin
- Ingesting – using pre-made supplements, or in specifically designed recipes
If you’re going to apply Thieves to your skin, always be sure to dilute it. To dilute it, I always recommend 1 drop to 1ml of carrier oil (any cold-pressed seed oil, like sweet almond, grapeseed, coconut, avocado, coconut… etc).
How does Thieves Essential Oil Blend work?
Thieves essential oil blend is comprised of 5 essential oils that are all very well known and studied to have immune supporting functions. When using it topically (diluted) or aromatically, your body absorbs the oil, and uses it where it needs it the most.
Our Favorite Ways to use Thieves Essential Oil Blend:
- Dilute a drop per ml (or 5 drops per tsp) of carrier oil, such as coconut or sweet almond oil, and rub on the bottom of your feet, over your belly, and/or over your chest to help boost your immune system.
- Diffuse to purify and cleanse the air
- I love adding a couple drops of orange essential oil to Thieves in the diffuser – it reminds me of Thanksgiving
- Make an immune-boosting sugar scrub
- Add it to coconut oil to enhance your oil pulling
- Add Thieves Vitality to your oil pulling routine
- Add Thieves to your homemade toothpaste
- Add Thieves to homemade play dough to boost your children’s immune systems while they play
- Diffuse Thieves with a drop of lavender in the evenings to help support your immune functioning and relax
- Add to your homemade cleaning products
- Add a drop of Thieves Vitality to a tsp of salt and warm water to gargle for a sore throat
- Use Thieves Spray or dilute and use Thieves Mouthwash as a throat spray for a sore throat
Our favorite recipes featuring Thieves Vitality Essential Oil Blend
- Put a drop of Thieves Vitality in a tsp of honey and dissolve in a mug of warm water for a soothing Thieves Tea
- Use in place of pumpkin pie seasoning (1 drop per TBS)
Frequently Asked Questions about Thieves Essential Oil Blend
Is Thieves essential oil blend safe for dogs?
Yes, as long as you use it properly. Thieves essential oil may be beneficial to dogs.
My aunt loves diffusing Thieves for her dogs. She often finds her little dogs curled up around the diffuser every time she diffuses any. She especially loves how it seems one doesn’t cough nearly as much as normal when he hangs out near the mist.
Just ensure if you’re diffusing around your dogs to allow them a way to escape the room if they decide they’ve had enough.
Is Thieves Essential Oil Blend safe for cats?
I would be very cautious using any essential oil on cats because they metabolize differently. Thieves oil does contain lemon, which all citrus oils should be avoided with cats.
If you have pets in your home, I highly recommend having an animal essential oil reference book.
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach. Thieves is a proprietary blend, formulated by Young Living, that is offered in their Premium Starter Kit that features essential oils and also in their Premium Starter Kit that features Theives.
- Sign up for my online essential oil email class, to learn the basics.
How do you use Thieves Essential Oil Blend?
I would love to hear about it in the comments below!
Did you find this post helpful? If you enjoyed this post, please comment below and share.