Copaiba essential oil helps support your cardiovascular and musculoskeletal systems and your skin. It’s also known for enhancing the effects of other oils its blended with, for its calming properties, and can be soothing to the digestive system. Historically, its been used throughout the Amazon to help people heal and support their bodies in overcoming injuries. In Peruvian traditional medicine, a few drops of copaiba essential oil is added to a spoonful of honey and swallowed to help support and boost the body’s immune system. It’s a valuable essential oil that definitely deserves its own space within your essential oil stock.
Copaiba essential oil is steam distilled from the oleoresin tapped from Copal trees (copaifera reticulate, langsdorfii, or mltijuga) located in Brazil and Ecuador
It is rich in sesquiterpene constituents, including β-caryophyllene, copaene, trans-a-bergamotene, a-cubebene, y- and β-elemene, and β-cubebene (something to look up for those of you who are research geeks).
How to use copaiba essential oil
Copaiba essential oil. Have you tried it? For the longest time I assumed I did not need this oil in my collection until I received it in my second Young Living Premium Starter Kit and actually started using it (yes, I’ve bought several kits – they are the best bang for your money when you’re using the oils all the time, especially if you want another diffuser!).
So, what is copaiba essential oil? Do you really need it? What is it for?
Historically, cobaiba has been used to helping the body through soothing painful joints and muscles, supporting skin health, comforting your breathing, supporting your nerve functioning, and cleansing your digestive system.
Copaiba’s aroma in the diffuser also helps to elevate your mood, reduce your nervous tension, calm your stress, and help you unwind in anxious moments.
Our favorite uses for copaiba essential oil
- Add one drop per ml of carrier oil to a roller bottle (like these) to help support your body healing itself after injury
- My favorite is copaiba blended with lavender and frankincense essential oils
- Add a drop of copaiba essential oil to your favorite facial moisturizer to help keep your skin clear and reduce the appearance of blemishes
- Diffuse copaiba to help calm your emotions, especially during anxious moments
- Make your own DIY perfume using copaiba essential oil and diluting it in your favorite carrier oil, or dripping a few drops on diffusing jewelry
- Add copaiba to your favorite unscented bath and shower gel base to create a body wash or bubble bath that helps you unwind and relax
- Unwind before bed by diluting a drop of copaiba essential oil and your favorite carrier oil, rubbing it on your wrists, chest, neck, and feet
- Create your own room spray with 40 drops of copaiba essential oil in a 4 oz glass spray bottle filled with 1 oz witch hazel, a pinch of Himalayan salt and the rest of the way with distilled water
- Bring copaiba essential oil with you while you’re on the go by adding 5-10 drops of copaiba essential oil to a 10ml roller bottle filled with your favorite carrier oil
- Dilute copaiba essential oil and rub on your chest to help support and soothe your breathing
- Make your own DIY ache relief roller blend: Blend 8 drops cedarwood with 4 drops CBD, 3 drops black pepper essential oil, and 3 drops clove essential oil, add to a 10ml roller bottle, filled the rest of the way with your favorite carrier oil. Roll on areas of your body that are sore or aching.
20 DIY essential oil diffuser blends featuring copaiba essential oil
- Cozy Living Room: 3 drops orange essential oil, 2 drops Thieves essential oil blend, 2 drops copaiba essential oil, and 1 drop peppermint essential oil
- Feeling Zen: 3 drops each orange essential oil, Stress Away essential oil blend, and copaiba essential oil
- Grounding: 3 drops copaiba essential oil, 2 drops each of lavender and frankincense essential oils
- Cleansing: 3 drops copaiba essential oil, 3 drops rosemary essential oil, 1 drop each of peppermint and clary sage essential oil
- Changing Seasons: 2 drops each of copaiba, lemon, lavender, and peppermint essential oils
- Happy Vibes: 3 drops copaiba essential oil, 2 drops each of lavender and blue tansy essential oils, and 1 drop Thieves essential oil blend
- Fall Spice: 2 drops copaiba essential oil, 1 drop each of clove and cinnamon essential oils
- Bright Unwind: 2 drops each of copaiba, lemon, and black spruce essential oils
- Calm The Kids: 3 drops lime essential oil, and 2 drops each copaiba and cedarwood essential oils
- Candy Hearts: 4 drops each tangerine and lemon essential oils, 2 drops spearmint essential oil, and 1 drop copaiba essential oil
- Sleepy Time: 2 drops each lavender, copaiba, and cedarwood essential oils
- Mood Lifter: 2 drops each copaiba and bergamot essential oils, and 1 drop ylang ylang essential oil
- Carmel Apple: 2 drops each bergamot, lime, nutmeg, and copaiba essential oils
- Beach House: 3 drops Stress Away essential oil blend, 2 drops each copaiba and grapefruit essential oils
- Be Still: 3 drops copaiba essential oil and 2 drops frankincense essential oil
- Ouachita National Forest: 3 drops cypress essential oil, 2 drops copaiba essential oil, 1 drop basil
- Freshly Fallen Snow: 3 drops cardamom essential oil, 2 drops copaiba essential oil, 1 drop clove essential oil
- Midnight Blossoms: 2 drops each jasmine, neroli, orange, copaiba, sandalwood essential oils
- Island Breeze: 2 drops each lime and bergamot essential oils, 1 drop copaiba essential oil
- Superior National Forest: 2 drops each kunzea and copaiba essential oil, with 1 drop of peppermint essential oil
4 ways to use copaiba in recipes and supplements
- Add a drop of copaiba vitality to a tsp of honey in a mug of warm water as a tea to relax or help soothe the digestive system
- Place a drop each of copiaba essential oil and peppermint essential oil in a capsule filled the rest of the way with olive oil, and take with a meal, to help soothe your digestive system, or promote your body’s natural response to injury or irritation
- Dreamsicle Ningxia Drink Supplement: 2 oz Ningxia Red, 1 drop each of orange, lime, tangerine, copaiba, and lemon vitality essential oils
- Add to your Thieves Tea recipe for additional throat soothing
My personal testimonial using copaiba essential oil
I never saw the need for copaiba essential oil because I’ve always had frankincense around, but one day my toddler son was teething really bad, so we decided to add copaiba in his teething roller. We used 2 drops each lavender, frankincense, and copaiba in a roller bottle filled the rest of the way with sweet almond oil. After rolling it on his jaw, it worked on his teeth pains insanely fast.
Shortly after his teeth felt better, he was running around, and collided into the corner of a wall, so we rolled the same roller over where he hit, and was surprised to see how happy he was almost instantly. A few minutes later, I ended up tripping over a toy, and knocked my leg and arm into the same corner, instantly bruising and tender. I tried out his roller on my own bruises, surprised to feel the warming sensation from the oil blend and how quick it worked on me too, taking away the pain almost instantly.
After that, copaiba oil now has a permanent place in our home.
Frequently Asked Questions about Copaiba Essential Oil:
Is copaiba essential oil safe during pregnancy?
Typically no. There are much gentler essential oils to use during pregnancy, such as frankincense and lavender.
Is copaiba essential oil safe for babies, toddlers, or children?
By itself, it should be avoided in children under 6, and diluted more than normal for children between 6 and 12. We have personally used it with positive results in blends that are highly diluted on our toddlers. Please consult with your medical professional who is knowledgable in essential oils before using on any child, and avoid using it with babies.
Is copaiba essential oil safe for animals
Yes! Copaiba essential oil offers many benefits for animals. We have it mentioned over in our oils for dogs post, and highly recommend you purchase a reference guide specifically for animals. My favorite reference guides for using essential oils with animals are:
What is the difference between copaiba and CBD?
CBD comes from the cannabis plant, that has been illegal to own and use for many years as part of the war on drugs. Recently, it’s become legal to use in most places around the US providing it has no THC in it.
CBD is highly controversial, but provides many benefits that overlap with copaiba essential oil. There is only one CBD brand that I trust because of the industry being wildly unregulated and many counterfeit CBD products being sold that are marketed with incorrect information. Many people have used CBD under promises that they won’t fail drug tests, and the marketing ended up false as they ended up with positive THC drug testing results. The brand we trust has been proven not to trigger drug testing by 3rd parties and members using the products and testing themselves.
Copaiba is a decent replacement for CBD, though they do have some differences so copaiba isn’t going to be as impactful as CBD, depending on what you’re using it for. They both have cannabinoids in them, but the cannabinoids are different.
Have a question about Copaiba Essential Oil you’d like featured???
You are welcome to comment below, or fill out this form to ask anonymously, and we will feature your question!
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach.
- Don’t forget to sign up for our FREE Intro to Essential Oils Email Class, to learn the basics.
Essential Oil Blends containing copaiba
Oil-Infused Products containing Copaiba Essential Oil
How do you use Copaiba Essential Oil?
Tell us about it in the comments below!
Did you find this post helpful? If you enjoyed this post, please comment below and share.