Orange essential oil brings a peaceful and happy atmosphere when used. It helps your mind and body accept joy into your heart, providing additional emotional support to help you overcome moodiness, sadness, and overwhelm. It is rich in both monoterpines and d-limonene (you’ll want to click those links!).
Orange essential oil can be both calming and energizing, depending on what you blend it with, and is great for helping with boosting the health of your body’s cells, helping you with achieving and maintaining healthy weight, and helps with cleansing your air.
** PLEASE NOTE ** Don’t be fooled by clever marketing. Not all essential oils are created equally. Make sure you’re not wasting your money on fake essential oils, or oils diluted in questionable solvents (even if they’re labeled as “pure essential oil”). Don’t miss our complete guide on how to find quality essential oils to ensure you’re not wasting your money on brands of oils that legally carry out questionable or unethical practices and mislead you through deceitful marketing practices.
40+ ways to use orange essential oil, and its benefits
There are many uses for orange essential oil.
- Use orange oil to dissolve sticky residue from adhesives, foods, and sweets
- Use a few drops of orange oil as an oil degreaser (great for washing your hands after working on cars)
- Add a drop or two into the toilet before you use it to help control bathroom smells
- DIY Multipurpose Cleaner: Take a clean 8oz spray bottle, add 50 drops orange essential oil, 1 oz of witch hazel, 4 oz white vinegar, and fill the rest of the way with distilled water. Shake and spray to clean surfaces.
- Clean your cutting boards by combining 12 drops orange essential oil with 1/4 cup of salt. Rub on cutting boards and rinse with hot water.
- Make Room Refreshing Spray by combining 20 drops each of lavender, cedar wood, tea tree, and orange essential oils in a 4oz spray bottle filled with distilled water and a couple pinches of salt. Shake, and spray on linens or around the room.
- DIY your own Wood Cleaner and Polish using orange essential oil
- Drip a few drops of orange essential oil into indoor garbage cans to combat stinky smells and discourage bugs.
- Add 12 drops to 1/4 cup each of Castile soap and water, and use to wipe down household surfaces.
- Add a few drops of orange essential oil to a wooden clothes pin, diffuser clip, or cotton ball to set on your car’s air vents to use as an air freshener in your car
- Diffuse or wear in diffusing jewelry to lift your mood or reduce stress
- Use on your acne prone skin for smoother appearance by adding a few drops of orange essential oil onto a cotton ball and dabbing on your skin where the breakout is
- Soothe sore muscles and joints by diluting 1 drop per ml of your favorite carrier oil and massaging over where you need it
- Calm and soothe digestive upset
- Drip 1-2 drops of orange oil onto your stained tile, let sit for 2 minutes, and wipe away the stain
- Combine 12 drops orange essential oil to 1/4 cup of Epsom salts for a relaxing bath
- Use orange essential oil in your favorite sugar scrub recipe
Studies featuring orange essential oil
- A study from 2012 found orange essential oil (rich in limonene) both inhibited the growth and promoted the death of colon cancer cells in culture.
- A 2017 study found that orange essential oil inhibited the growth and increase the death of lung and prostate cancer cell lines in the culture analyzed.
- A small 2016 study found that student athletes who inhaled orange essential oil had a significant decrease in running times as well as an increase in lung function.
- A 2019 study on rats found that obese rats who were fed capsules of orange essential oil showed a reduction in weight gain and lowered cholesterol levels. Human trials have not been conducted.
- You may also find this study and this study about how orange oil interacts with different bacteria to be interesting.
Rollerball recipes using orange essential oil
- Afternoon Slump Roller Blend: 10 drops orange and 6 drops peppermint essential oils
- Anger Buster Roller Blend: 6 drops orange, 4 drops cardamom, 2 drops each patchouli and bergamot essential oils
- Arrival Roller Blend: 4 drops orange, 3 drops jasmine, and 3 drops lime essential oils
- Energized Roller Blend: 4 drops each of frankincense and orange with 2 drops of cinnamon essential oils
- Frayed Nerves Roller Blend: 3 drops each of lavender and orange with 2 drops each of geranium and clary sage essential oils
- Happy Roller Blend: 14 drops ylang ylang, 10 drops black spruce, 6 drops orange essential oils
- Happy Place Roller Blend: 3 drops ylang ylang, 4 drops orange, 3 drops lavender essential oils
- Happy Teacher Roller Blend: 5 drops each of frankincense, Joy, orange, grapefruit, and bergamot essential oils
- Love Is In The Air Roller Blend: 4 drops each ylang ylang, orange, and bergamot with 2 drops each sandalwood and black pepper essential oils
- Mental Lift Roller Blend: 2 drops each bergamot, clary sage, grapefruit, and orange with 6 drops frankincense essential oils
- Peaceful Sleep Roller Blend: 7 drops each lavender and vetiver, 5 drops each orange and frankincense, and 3 drops cedarwood essential oils
To turn these recipes into a rollerball, simply add the amounts of essential oil into an empty 10 or 15ml bottle, fill the rest of the way with your choice of carrier oil, and top with a roller top fitment.
A carrier oil can be any cold-pressed, seed-based oil (ideally organic and unrefined). This includes most cooking oil, like coconut oil, avocado oil, and olive oils. Personally, we LOVE using sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil, and the V6 Carrier oil (made by Young Living).
Need empty bottles? You can order them from any bottle supply shop that offers essential oil bottles, or even off of Amazon. Personally, we save our old essential oil bottles, remove the labels, and reuse the bottles. To reuse your bottles, ensure they are clean by soaking the empty bottle disassembled, and boil it for at least 15 minutes. Then let dry. Need a fun roller bottle? Here are some of our favorite essential oil roller bottles on Amazon.
Relaxing DIY essential oil diffuser blends featuring orange essential oil:
- 3 drops each orange and lavender in your diffuser
- 2 drops orange, 1 drop roman chamomile, 2 drops tangerine, 1 drop ylang ylang, and 1 drop patchouli
- 2 drops each: orange, lavender, cedarwood
- 2 drops each: orange, lavender, black spruce
- 3 drops each: orange and patchouli
- 2 drops orange, 2 drops lavender, 1 drop clary sage, 1 drop geranium
- 3 drops lavender, 3 drops orange, 1 drop frankincense, and 1 drop spearmint
Energizing essential oil diffuser blends featuring orange essential oil:
- 3 drops orange and 2 drops peppermint
- 1 drop orange, 2 drops lemon, 1 drop lime, 1 drop grapefruit, 1 drop spearmint
- 2 drops each of orange, bergamot, and lemon
- 3 drops orange, 2 drops rosemary, and 1 drop clove
- Calm down from stressful moments with a chill out blend of 1 drop bergamot, 1 drop lavender, and 2 drops orange. Diffuse or dilute with 5ml of a carrier oil of your choice and apply on the back of your neck.
Orange Essential Oil Safety Info
** Please note that orange essential oil is a photosensitive oil. Avoid sunlight where you apply it on your skin for at least 12 hours.
Orange essential oil blends especially well with:
Orange essential oil blends especially well with
Food and Drink Dishes Featuring Orange Essential Oil
While ingesting essential oils is a controversial topic, there are safe ways to do so, namely through creating some delicious culinary creations.
Orange Vitality is an essential oil you can use for cooking, baking, and other culinary creations. It has a bright, rounded orangey flavor, and is delicious in a variety of dishes. We love adding a drop or two to dishes calling for citrus juices, zests, or to just brighten up a variety of fun dips. It especially woks well replacing orange juices and zests.
Here are some of our favorite culinary uses:
- Add 1-2 drops of orange vitality essential oil to your homemade smoothies for a bright fresh taste
- Add a little orange vitality oil to berry dishes to complement their natural sweetness
- Honey Orange Whipped Cream: whip 1 pint of whipping cream, then fold in 20 drops of orange vitality and 3 Tbs honey.
- Add a drop of orange vitality to Thieves Aromabright toothpaste for extra whitening! (seriously… try it everyday for 30 days, and be sure to take before/after photos)!
Culinary essential oils that compliment orange vitality essential oil:
Orange vitality pairs especially well with basil bergamot, grapefruit, lavender, lemon, and tangerine vitality oils.
Food dishes featuring orange vitality essential oil
Frequently Asked Questions about Orange Essential Oil
What is the difference between Orange and Orange vitality essential oils?
Absolutely nothing aside from the label printed. They are 100% the exact same oil the may be used in the exact same ways interchangeably. Young Living adopted the Vitality label in 2015 to remain legal with the FDA and FTC’s marketing requirements that state a supplement cannot be labeled as topical and oral at the same time.
This means legally, you cannot discuss using an essential oil in your cooking, baking, drinks, or any oral supplement form if it is the same bottle you’re discussing using in your diffuser or topically on your skin.
To reduce confusion and stay in the eyes in the law, Young Living separated their labels to compliantly discuss all the benefits essential oils can provide in all use capacities.
Is orange essential oil safe to use while pregnant?
Yes. Generally orange essential oil is considered safe to use while you’re pregnant.
If you’re using oils while pregnant, I highly recommend this reference guide. It contains some great advice for using essential oils while pregnant, plus some DIY Recipes you’ll love too.
Is orange essential oil safe for kids and babies?
Generally, yes for children over 6. We do not recommend using orange essential oil by itself with children under 6. If you choose to, please use it with greater dilutions.
While essential oils may be safe for kids to use, please do not have your child use an essential oil internally without being under the direct guidance of a naturopathic doctor.
Can you be allergic to orange essential oil?
There are a few reasons why you would experience an allergy-like reaction to essential oils. Usually, this is caused by not diluting the oil you’re applying (or not diluting it enough). Please refer to our essential oils and allergies article for more in-depth information.
Is orange essential oil safe for dogs and cats?
Orange essential oil is safe to use with your dogs. It is NOT safe to use around cats.
If you’re using essential oils around your family pets, be sure to allow them access out of the room and into a room where you’re not diffusing. This way they’re able to escape when they feel they’ve had enough. Please also consider picking up a reference guide specific to using essential oils with animals.
Should you use orange essential oil if you’re taking medication?
This is a very personal question, and really depend on which medications you’re taking. I have an entire article dedicated to known medication contraindications that I highly recommend you check out… in addition to having a lengthy conversation with your local aromatherapist or pharmacist.
How often should you use orange essential oil?
This is also a personal question. This depends on what you’re using it for and how experienced you are using it. For beginners, I recommend only diffusing for 30 minutes at a time, then giving your body an hour break. If you diffuse too much, you could end up light headed. Personally, I have a diffuser running most of the day intermittently (using the intermittent setting on our diffuser). Or I’ll wear a piece of diffusing jewelry with 3 drops of oil on it throughout the day (those 3 drops usually last a few days). Check out our article about diffusing essential oils safely for more info.
Don’t see an answer to the question you have about orange essential oil?
Have a question you don’t see? You’re welcome to ask in the comments or fill out this form to ask anonymously.
Where to Buy High Quality Orange Essential Oils
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach.
Warning: DO NOT purchase your oils through Amazon or similar websites!
Any website that allows anyone to sell on, such as Amazon, eBay, Walmart… etc… are terrible places to purchase essential oils. While you may get a “good deal,” knowing who you’re purchasing from is difficult. There are many counterfeit essential oils being sold that are causing health ailments, major skin reactions, and a lot of misery. These are NOT high quality essential oils. They are fakes being sold purely for profit.
I also do NOT recommend purchasing from grocery stores, Walmart, Target, department stores, or drug stores. Many of the brands found at those stores have been proven to not actually contain any essential oil (which is perfectly legal to do).
I STRONGLY suggest you know the company that makes your oils, how the plants are cared for, what they do for distilling, how and how many times each batch is tested (and when), and their bottling processes. Many companies throw out fancy language for marketing purposes, but actually have no clue how their oils are made because the oils come from a broker (which are almost always diluted in solvents). Transparency is key.
I highly encourage you to check out our How To Find Quality Essential Oils post for in-depth information about why quality matters, and what to look for.
Where we purchase our essential oils, and why
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach. This company has proven to me time and time again to be the closest thing out there to buying from your local farmer. They are totally transparent in their processes, and even open their farms so you can see for yourself (or involve yourself in the process).
Pre-made essential oil blends that feature orange essential oil
You’ll love these pre-made essential oil blends that feature orange essential oil. You definitely won’t want to miss these!
- Christmas Spirit,
- Citrus Fresh,
- Inner Child,
- Into the Future,
- Lady Sclerol,
- Peace and Calming,
Did you find this post helpful? If you enjoyed this post, please comment below and share.
And don’t forget to scroll down to become a member of our free online community. Or check out our membership page to learn how you can gain your essential oils at a 24% discount PLUS receive complimentary group and individual coaching.