Self care is a hot topic as more and more people dive into learning the true meaning of loving yourself, and how that love extends from within us into what we do and other people we are around. It’s so much more than your massages and manicures or pedicures… self care is all about appreciating your life, living in gratitude, living more positively, reducing your stress, and setting your future self up for success while feeling more capable.
- Why is self care important?
- Be intentional with incorporating self care and essential oils in your morning routine
- Set your day up for success with these essential oil self care tips
- End your day relaxing with essential oils
- What if you don’t have an essential oil diffuser?
- More articles related to self care that you won’t want to miss!
- Where to Buy Essential Oils for your self care routine
Why is self care important?
Self care is not at all selfish, though like anything else it can be abused if we become addicted. Self care is you taking the time you need to nourish your mind, body and soul. Signs you need more self care in your life include:
- Feeling overwhelmed at work and home
- Your calendar is always full, being “too busy” for anything you actually enjoy
- The to-do list nagging at you never seems to get any shorter
- Too many people “need” you to be and do everything
- Sleep is one thing you can never get enough of
- You’re sick of always feeling sick
- You feel like don’t have time to workout or do anything to replenish your body with self-care
Those are all signs that you need self care much more than you’re allowing.
Not having enough self care in your life may cause:
- Increased stress and anxiety
- Higher levels of cortisol (the stress hormone)
- High blood pressure, heart disease, and bodily inflammation
- A reduced or compromised immune system
- Adrenal fatigue
- Insomnia and poor sleep quality
Benefits of incorporating self care into your routine
While the benefits of self care are literally infinite, some of the benefits that I’ve personally experienced (along with many of our members) include:
- Develop a healthy relationship with yourself
- Minimize or stop self-abuse caused by negative thoughts about yourself
- Enables you to create healthier relationships and friendships with other people
- Allows you to live more positively, which will benefit your mood
- Enhances your sleep, allowing you to relax more and achieve a higher quality of sleep
- Helps you feel more productive because you’re able to accomplish more
- Enables you to feel more motivated and excited about things happening in your life
- Sets you up for trusting yourself and living to see more of your potential, which also makes you more productive
- Allows your mind to develop a higher sense of awareness to what is going on around you, also enhancing your levels of intuition
- Increases the effectiveness of your immune system so you’re not sick and depressed as often
- Enables you to realize your passions, and gives you permission to walk away from situations in life that are overwhelmingly draining (like a job you hate, living in a place that doesn’t resonate with you, or even forcing yourself to stay in relationships that are abusive).
Why should you use essential oils in your self care routine?
Many trendy self-care products contain harmful ingredients, as do many personal care and cleaning products. These chemicals negate the work you’re putting into yourself by bogging down your body even more, preventing you from receiving all the positive benefits of spending time and love on yourself.
These chemicals often congest our livers, kidneys, and eventually fat cells when our bodies aren’t able to digest them properly. Even products you inhale (like candles) or put on your skin end up in your blood stream in under a minute. These chemicals go through your blood stream, reaching every organ in your body before being filtered by your liver and kidneys. When they accumulate too much, they end up stored in our fat cells, and are a major cause of why people have “stubborn fat” that diets and exercise don’t always help reduce. This is also why many people experience dizziness and headaches when they go through different weight loss programs like the essential oil weight loss protocol or the Plexus weight loss system. The good thing is when we stop using products that cause that bioaccumulation, our bodies slowly “take out the trash” through our natural detoxification processes.
Essential oils are a natural, cost effective way to engage in your self care without congesting your body with chemicals that bioaccumulate. Plus there are more emotional and physical benefits than one could adequately count.
Using essential oils provides you with a healthy means to conduct your self care, set your mind and body up for success, help you maintain a gracious mindset, and help you heal old emotional wounds you may no longer be aware of. And you can use them throughout the day!
** PLEASE NOTE ** Don’t be fooled by clever marketing. Not all essential oils are created equally. Make sure you’re not wasting your money on fake essential oils, or oils diluted in questionable solvents (even if they’re labeled as “pure essential oil”). Don’t miss our complete guide on how to find quality essential oils to ensure you’re not wasting your money on brands of oils that legally carry out questionable or unethical practices and mislead you through deceitful marketing practices.
Be intentional with incorporating self care and essential oils in your morning routine
Sometimes self care is just as simple as focusing intentionally when you do your normal routine. Instead of rushing through your morning routine because you need to, while focusing on the avalanche of things you need to do today, slow your mind down and focus on gratitude.
- Start your morning diffusing 2 drops each of rosemary, lemon, and lavender to help wake you up feeling refreshed, able to focus, and ready for the day
- Add a drop of eucalyptus essential oil to a wet washcloth or use an essential oil shower steamer and drop to the bottom of your shower to enjoy its invigorating aroma
- Indulge using this healthy, nontoxic DIY body butter recipe
- Put your lotion on in the mindset of loving your body as it is in your journey through life, “imperfections” and all.
- Love your skin applying this DIY Lotion Bar recipe
- Use essential oils in a roller bottle or pick up a fun piece of diffusing jewelry to wear as a perfume – your body will love the break from harmful chemicals used in regular perfumes from the store. (I’ll provide some DIY and non-DIY oil options in a moment…)
Don’t want to DIY… here are some pre-made options that I’ve personally vetted for being free from any harmful or potentially harmful ingredients.
- Great essential oil pre-made diffuser blend to use in the mornings: RC
- This lovely Body Butter collection will have you loving your skin again
- The Genesis Body Lotion is a great lotion for everyone. Though as a wife and mom, I LOVE the Sensation lotion.
Set your day up for success with these essential oil self care tips
There are little things you can that doesn’t feel like self care, but they set you up for a more enjoyable experience. Like spending a day each month to set up a few healthy freezer meals for super busy days, cleaning a little at a time as you go so you won’t be overwhelmed with mess, and setting your mind up for success.
Nothing happens when we are beating ourselves up and exhausted because our minds and bodies were not created to endure that type of self inflicted hardships. Essential oils are fantastic for helping dive deep into our emotions and mind to help put us back on track.
- Dilute and apply a drop of peppermint essential oil to the back of your neck during your afternoon slump to help perk you up and reset your energy
- Use our focus DIY essential oil diffuser blend during the day to help keep your mind focused. Simply add 3 drops lemon, 2 drops lavender, and 1 drop rosemary essential oils into your diffuser and enjoy!
- Modify your mood with this DIY uplifting diffuser blend: 3 drops each frankincense, lavender, and orange (or bergamot)
- Reignite your inspiration to help you get creative when needing to solve problems or to just have some extra fun: 2 drops each lemon and peppermint essential oils
- Feel more confident in what you’re doing, whether handling kids, tackling meetings, or working on projects using this DIY essential oil blend: 3 drops grapefruit, 2 drops basil and bergamot, and 1 drop lavender
Don’t want to DIY? My favorite pre-made essential oil blends to use every day in helping us focus, feel lighter and happier, create, and feel confident include:
- Brain Power – help you focus
- En-R-Gee – helps your energy levels
- Joy – helps your mood improve
- Inspiration does exactly what it says, helping you feel more inspired
- Inner Child goes a long way to help you create and have fun in the process
- Valor – is amazing for improving your confidence
Remove the toxins from your home for more effective self care using essential oils
There is no surprise that modern cleaning supplies contain harmful ingredients. Treat your mind and body to a break by eliminating harmful products and switching to safer, truly healthy cleaning product alternatives. This will go a long way to increasing your ability to focus, your moods, and your overall health.
When you stop using harmful products in your home, you stop exposing your body to chemicals that cause mayhem on your neurological, cardiovascular, reproductive, immune, lymphatic, and respiratory systems. This shows your body that you care, and sets the intention of taking better care of yourself and your family, which also will help you feel better about your efforts.
Take a self-care time-out with these essential oil ideas
While every day doesn’t always call for a total time-out, it is good to invest some time in yourself each week. This doesn’t always have to entail going and getting a pedicure or massage, and often there are little things you can do at home that rejuvenate your mind and uplift your soul.
- Invigorating bath with Epsom salts infused with eucalyptus and lavender essential oils
- Pamper your feet with this pedicure foot scrub
- Take a walk with a drop each of lavender, rosemary, and lemon in your diffusing necklace
- Treat your body to a wonderful homemade sugar scrub
- Do some yoga while diffusing 3 drops of frankincense essential oil and 2 drops of lemon essential oil
- Enjoy relaxing while treating your skin to a homemade geranium face mask
- Read a book while treating your air to this DIY Patchouli Hair Mask recipe
Don’t want to make a homemade mask or scrub? Check out this face mask instead! This ART Beauty Face Mask is my personal favorite non-DIY mask. Every time I use it, my skin feels so silky soft and refreshed. Plus there is no peeling or scrubbing involved! I’m also totally in love with this peppermint foot softening scrub and the matching mint face scrub.
End your day relaxing with essential oils
At the end of each day, take a peaceful moment to relax, take some time for self reflection, and unwind from a long day. Don’t expect your body and mind to manage that while falling asleep, but actually give yourself some down time.
Whether you use the time out ideas listed above or you curl up with your favorite cup of tea and a good book, these essential oil ideas will help you de-stress, unwind, and set yourself up for more peaceful sleep:
- 3 drops each of lavender and bergamot essential oils
- 1 drop each of lavender, lemon, bergamot, and cedarwood essential oils
- 2 drops each of frankincense, lavender, and orange essential oils
- 2 drops each of lavender, cedarwood, and vetiver essential oils
- 3 drops each lavender and copaiba
- 2 drops each lavender, cedarwood, vetiver, and bergamot
If you’re going through a particularly stressful season, you can use these blends to add to a 5 or 10 ml roller bottle, filled the rest of the way with your favorite carrier oil and use them throughout the day to help you keep calm and not be carried away in stress.
These blends also work well to infuse with baking soda and Epsom salts for a relaxing bath.
Don’t want to DIY? We have a few wonderful essential oil blends you will LOVE!
- Stress Away – rush hour DC traffic has nothing on this blend. Just like its name suggests, it melts your stress tension almost as fast as you breathe it in.
- Seedlings Calm – great for the whole family to unwind
- SleepyIze – while this one is designed for kids, I also love using it too for relaxing and enhancing our quality of sleep
- Peace and Calming – as my 5 year old says, “it peaces you out and calms you down”
- Harmony – one of my favorites to wear as a perfume, but also does a fantastic job of calming my mind
- Tranquil really does a great job of helping you calm down and relax
What if you don’t have an essential oil diffuser?
There are a few different things you can do to overcome not having a diffuser.
- Buy diffusing jewelry
- Make diffusing jewelry
- Drip onto a pillow
- Drip into a bowl of baking soda
- Create a room spray
I personally LOVE wearing diffuser necklaces and occasionally wear diffusing bracelets. Especially ones that are fully customizable and attached to jewelry that reduce our exposure to EMFs (and repel mosquitos) using magnets. My favorite source of diffusing jewelry for me, my family, and my clients are found over at Magnetude Jewelry and feature felt as diffusing material with those magnets. Just pick out your necklace or bracelet jewelry base, and the diffuser pieces attach magnetically.
DIY Room Spray Recipe
- 16 oz glass spray bottle
- A pinch of salt (we use Himalayan pink salt)
- 3 oz witch hazel
Add ingredients to your glass spray bottle, fill the rest of the way with water. Shake and spray.
More articles related to self care that you won’t want to miss!
- Enhance your yoga and meditation routine with essential oils
- Using essential oils with moon cycles
- Cleaning without chemicals
- Begin a healthier lifestyle
- How to afford a healthier lifestyle
- How you can earn FREE essential oils and oil-infused products
Where to Buy Essential Oils for your self care routine
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach.
Warning: DO NOT purchase your oils through Amazon or similar websites!
Any website that allows anyone to sell on, such as Amazon, eBay, Walmart… etc… are terrible places to purchase essential oils. While you may get a “good deal,” knowing who you’re purchasing from is difficult. There are many counterfeit essential oils being sold that are causing health ailments, major skin reactions, and a lot of misery. These are NOT high quality essential oils. They are fakes being sold purely for profit.
I also do NOT recommend purchasing from grocery stores, Walmart, Target, department stores, or drug stores. Many of the brands found at those stores have been proven to not actually contain any essential oil (which is perfectly legal to do).
I STRONGLY suggest you know the company that makes your oils, how the plants are cared for, what they do for distilling, how and how many times each batch is tested (and when), and their bottling processes. Many companies throw out fancy language for marketing purposes, but actually have no clue how their oils are made because the oils come from a broker (which are almost always diluted in solvents). Transparency is key.
I highly encourage you to check out our How To Find Quality Essential Oils post for in-depth information about why quality matters, and what to look for.
Where we purchase our essential oils, and why
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach. This company has proven to me time and time again to be the closest thing out there to buying from your local farmer. They are totally transparent in their processes, and even open their farms so you can see for yourself (or involve yourself in the process).
Did this post help you? Do you use essential oils in your self-care routine? We would love to hear about it in the comments below!
P.S. To receive more tips, tricks, recipes, and other essential oil fun, be sure to scroll down and sign up for our free oily newsletter!