Self-care is a hot topic as more and more people dive into learning the true meaning of loving yourself, and how that love extends from within us into what we do and other people we are around. It's so much more than your massages and manicures or pedicures… self-care is all about appreciating your life, living in gratitude, living more positively, reducing your stress, and setting your future self up for success while feeling more capable. And its easy to uplevel your self-care with essential oils.
- Why is self-care important?
- Be intentional with incorporating self-care and essential oils in your morning routine
- Set your day up for success with these essential oil self-care tips
- End your day relaxing with essential oils
- What if you don't have an essential oil diffuser?
- More articles related to self-care that you won't want to miss!
Why is self-care important?
Self-care is not at all selfish, though like anything else it can be abused if we become addicted. Self-care is you taking the time you need to nourish your mind, body and soul. Signs you need more self-care in your life include:
- Feeling overwhelmed at work and home
- Your calendar is always full, being “too busy” for anything you actually enjoy
- The to-do list nagging at you never seems to get any shorter
- Too many people “need” you to be and do everything
- Sleep is one thing you can never get enough of
- You're sick of always feeling sick
- You feel like don’t have time to work out or do anything to replenish your body with self-care
Those are all signs that you need self-care much more than you're allowing.
Not having enough self-care in your life may cause:
- Increased stress and anxiety
- Higher levels of cortisol (the stress hormone)
- High blood pressure, heart disease, and bodily inflammation
- A reduced or compromised immune system
- Adrenal fatigue
- Insomnia and poor sleep quality
Benefits of incorporating self-care into your routine
While the benefits of self-care are literally infinite, some of the benefits that I've personally experienced (along with many of our members) include:
- Develop a healthy relationship with yourself
- Minimize or stop self-abuse caused by negative thoughts about yourself
- Enables you to create healthier relationships and friendships with other people
- Allows you to live more positively, which will benefit your mood
- Enhances your sleep, allowing you to relax more and achieve a higher quality of sleep
- Helps you feel more productive because you're able to accomplish more
- Enables you to feel more motivated and excited about things happening in your life
- Sets you up for trusting yourself and living to see more of your potential, which also makes you more productive
- Allows your mind to develop a higher sense of awareness of what is going on around you, also enhancing your levels of intuition
- Increases the effectiveness of your immune system so you're not sick and depressed as often
- Enables you to realize your passions, and gives you permission to walk away from situations in life that are overwhelmingly draining (like a job you hate, living in a place that doesn't resonate with you or even forcing yourself to stay in relationships that are abusive).
Why should you use essential oils in your self-care routine?
Many trendy self-care products contain harmful ingredients, as do many personal care and cleaning products. These chemicals negate the work you're putting into yourself by bogging down your body even more, preventing you from receiving all the positive benefits of spending time and love on yourself.
These chemicals often congest our livers, kidneys, and eventually fat cells when our bodies aren't able to digest them properly. Even products you inhale (like candles) or put on your skin end up in your bloodstream in under a minute. These chemicals go through your bloodstream, reaching every organ in your body before being filtered by your liver and kidneys. When they accumulate too much, they end up stored in our fat cells and are a major cause of why people have “stubborn fat” that diets and exercise don't always help reduce. This is also why many people experience dizziness and headaches when they go through different weight loss programs like the essential oil weight loss protocol or the Plexus weight loss system. The good thing is when we stop using products that cause that bioaccumulation, our bodies slowly “take out the trash” through our natural detoxification processes.
Essential oils are a natural, cost-effective way to engage in your self-care without congesting your body with chemicals that bioaccumulate. Plus there are more emotional and physical benefits than one could adequately count.
Using essential oils provides you with a healthy means to conduct your self-care, set your mind and body up for success, help you maintain a gracious mindset, and help you heal old emotional wounds you may no longer be aware of. And you can use them throughout the day!
** PLEASE NOTE ** Don't be fooled by clever marketing. Not all essential oils are created equally. Make sure you're not wasting your money on fake or altered essential oils (even if they're labeled as “pure essential oil”). Don't miss our explosive report outlining the dirty little secrets of the essential oil industry to ensure you're not wasting your money on brands of oils that legally mislead you through deceitful marketing practices.
Be intentional with incorporating self-care and essential oils in your morning routine
Sometimes self-care is just as simple as focusing intentionally when you do your normal routine. Instead of rushing through your morning routine because you need to, while focusing on the avalanche of things you need to do today, slow your mind down and focus on gratitude.
- Start your morning by diffusing 2 drops each of rosemary, lemon, and lavender to help wake you up feeling refreshed, able to focus, and ready for the day
- Add a drop of eucalyptus essential oil to a wet washcloth or use an essential oil shower steamer and drop it to the bottom of your shower to enjoy its invigorating aroma
- Indulge using this healthy, nontoxic DIY body butter recipe
- Put your lotion on in the mindset of loving your body as it is in your journey through life, “imperfections” and all.
- Love your skin applying this DIY Lotion Bar recipe
- Use essential oils in a roller bottle or pick up a fun piece of diffusing jewelry to wear as a perfume – your body will love the break from harmful chemicals used in regular perfumes from the store. (I'll provide some DIY and non-DIY oil options in a moment…)
Don't want to DIY… here are some pre-made options that I've personally vetted for being free from any harmful or potentially harmful ingredients.
- Great essential oil pre-made diffuser blend to use in the mornings: RC
- This lovely Body Butter will have you loving your skin again
- The Genesis Body Lotion is a great lotion for everyone. Though as a wife and mom, I LOVE the Sensation Body Lotion.
Set your day up for success with these essential oil self-care tips
There are little things you can that doesn't feel like self-care, but they set you up for a more enjoyable experience. Like spending a day each month to set up a few healthy freezer meals for super busy days, cleaning a little at a time as you go so you won't be overwhelmed with the mess, and setting your mind up for success.
Nothing happens when we are beating ourselves up and exhausted because our minds and bodies were not created to endure that type of self-inflicted hardships. Essential oils are fantastic for helping dive deep into our emotions and mind to help put us back on track.
- Dilute and apply a drop of peppermint essential oil to the back of your neck during your afternoon slump to help perk you up and reset your energy
- Use our focus DIY essential oil diffuser blend during the day to help keep your mind focused. Simply add 3 drops lemon, 2 drops lavender, and 1 drop rosemary essential oils into your diffuser and enjoy!
- Modify your mood with this DIY uplifting diffuser blend: 3 drops each frankincense, lavender, and orange (or bergamot)
- Reignite your inspiration to help you get creative when needing to solve problems or to just have some extra fun: 2 drops each lemon and peppermint essential oils
- Feel more confident in what you're doing, whether handling kids, tackling meetings, or working on projects using this DIY essential oil blend: 3 drops grapefruit, 2 drops basil and bergamot, and 1 drop lavender
Don't want to DIY? My favorite pre-made essential oil blends to use every day in helping us focus, feel lighter and happier, create, and feel confident include:
- Brain Power – help you focus
- En-R-Gee – helps your energy levels
- Joy – helps your mood improve
- Inner Child goes a long way to help you create and have fun in the process
- Valor – is amazing for improving your confidence
Remove the toxins from your home for more effective self-care using essential oils
There is no surprise that modern cleaning supplies contain harmful ingredients. Treat your mind and body to a break by eliminating harmful products and switching to safer, truly healthy cleaning product alternatives. This will go a long way to increasing your ability to focus, your moods, and your overall health.
When you stop using harmful products in your home, you stop exposing your body to chemicals that cause mayhem to your neurological, cardiovascular, reproductive, immune, lymphatic, and respiratory systems. This shows your body that you care, and sets the intention of taking better care of yourself and your family, which also will help you feel better about your efforts.
Take a self-care time-out with these essential oil ideas
While every day doesn't always call for a total time-out, it is good to invest some time in yourself each week. This doesn't always have to entail going and getting a pedicure or massage, and often there are little things you can do at home that rejuvenate your mind and uplift your soul.
- Invigorating bath with Epsom salts infused with eucalyptus and lavender essential oils
- Pamper your feet with this pedicure foot scrub
- Take a walk with a drop each of lavender, rosemary, and lemon in your diffusing necklace
- Treat your body to a wonderful homemade sugar scrub
- Do some yoga while diffusing 3 drops of frankincense essential oil and 2 drops of lemon essential oil
- Enjoy relaxing while treating your skin to a homemade geranium face mask
- Read a book while treating your air to this DIY Patchouli Hair Mask recipe
Don't want to make a homemade mask or scrub? Check out this face mask instead! This ART Beauty Face Mask is my personal favorite non-DIY mask. Every time I use it, my skin feels so silky soft, and refreshed. Plus there is no peeling or scrubbing involved! I'm also totally in love with this peppermint foot softening scrub and the matching mint face scrub.
End your day relaxing with essential oils
At the end of each day, take a peaceful moment to relax, take some time for self-reflection, and unwind from a long day. Don't expect your body and mind to manage that while falling asleep, but actually give yourself some downtime.
Whether you use the time out ideas listed above or you curl up with your favorite cup of tea and a good book, these essential oil ideas will help you de-stress, unwind, and set yourself up for more peaceful sleep:
- 3 drops each of lavender and bergamot essential oils
- 1 drop each of lavender, lemon, bergamot, and cedarwood essential oils
- 2 drops each of frankincense, lavender, and orange essential oils
- 2 drops each of lavender, cedarwood, and vetiver essential oils
- 3 drops each lavender and copaiba
- 2 drops each lavender, cedarwood, vetiver, and bergamot
If you're going through a particularly stressful season, you can use these blends to add to a 5 or 10 ml roller bottle, filled the rest of the way with your favorite carrier oil, and use them throughout the day to help you keep calm and not be carried away in stress.
These blends also work well to infuse with baking soda and Epsom salts for a relaxing bath.
Don't want to DIY? We have a few wonderful essential oil blends you will LOVE!
- Stress Away – rush hour DC traffic has nothing on this blend. Just like its name suggests, it melts your stress tension almost as fast as you breathe it in.
- Seedlings Calm – great for the whole family to unwind
- SleepyIze – while this one is designed for kids, I also love using it too for relaxing and enhancing our quality of sleep
- Peace and Calming – as my 5-year-old said, “it peaces you out and calms you down”
- Harmony – one of my favorites to wear as a perfume, but also does a fantastic job of calming my mind
- Tranquil really does a great job of helping you calm down and relax
What if you don't have an essential oil diffuser?
There are a few different things you can do to overcome not having a diffuser.
- Buy diffusing jewelry
- Make diffusing jewelry
- Drip onto a pillow
- Drip into a bowl of baking soda
- Create a room spray
DIY Room Spray Recipe
- 16 oz glass spray bottle
- A pinch of salt (we use Himalayan pink salt)
- 3 oz witch hazel
Add ingredients to your glass spray bottle, and fill the rest of the way with water. Shake and spray.
Where to Buy High-Quality Essential Oils
Don't be fooled into purchasing substandard, fake, or counterfeit essential oils using clever marketing and loose labeling laws. Be sure you know about the 10 Dirty Little Secrets of the essential oil industry so you can make the best choice for your needs for in-depth information about why quality matters, how not to be fooled, and what to look for
Warning: DO NOT purchase your oils through Amazon, eBay, Walmart, or similar websites with 3rd party sellers! Many of those oils are counterfeit and may cause health ailments, skin reactions, headaches, and a lot of misery. Most reputable essential oil brands do not allow their oils to be purchased there, so when you do find them (even if the seller appears to be legitimate), they're often fake.
If you're ready to start your essential oil journey, this is our favorite place to purchase from because of their transparency and dedication to doing what is right for their customers, and not compromising on their integrity to provide industry-setting quality standards throughout all their products.
More articles related to self-care that you won't want to miss!
- Cleaning without chemicals
- Begin a healthier lifestyle
- How you can earn FREE essential oils and oil-infused products
- Remove harmful chemicals from your home
If you enjoyed this post, please comment below and share it with your friends and on your favorite Pinterest board to save it for later. Our website team LOVES to hear about your personal experiences and wins using essential oils.
Don't miss out on free essential oils, discounts on essential oil-infused household products, and healthy lifestyle coaching! Join our membership today for product discounts, group support, and complimentary coaching. Or take our complimentary online, self-paced introduction to essential oils course.
Looking for more info about essential oils and adopting a healthier lifestyle? Be sure to check out our Healthy Home online course for tips on how to identify and replace common harmful products from your home.