Kunzea essential oil is steam distilled from the leaves and green branches of the Kunzea Ambigua plant, and it has a scent that is refreshing, spicy, and woodsy.
Kunzea is often compared to Tea Tree essential oil because of the similar uses and properties, but it has a much more pleasant and mild (intensity 2) aroma when applied topically or diffused.
The kunzea plant is native to the southern coast of Australia and Tasmania and has often been referred to as the “white cloud” because of the fluffy, airy white and pink flowers that top it. Native cultures have used the many benefits of the kunzea plant for centuries. Animals will sleep under the plant when they want a more peaceful outdoor experience.
Kunzea Essential Oil Benefits
- Supports and soothes your nerve functioning
- Emotionally balancing when used aromatically
- Supports your muscles
- Helps support your skin
Ways To Use Kunzea Essential Oil
Kunzea is perfect to use with the affirmation: I breathe in… breathe out… I am safe.
- Diffuse Kunzea essential oil to create a relaxing atmosphere and a refreshing respiratory experience.
- Diffuse Kunzea essential oil to purify the air from unwanted odors and has a clean, crisp smell.
- Apply diluted to fatigued muscles after exercise.
- Kunzea is high in the naturally occurring constituents alpha-pinene and eucalyptol, which makes it great for a soothing massage.
- Dilute and apply on your chest to help support your respiration.
- Sooth nervous tension by applying it topically (diluted) or diffusing
- Diffuse when your needing to emotionally calm down
- Diffuse to help you relax when stressed or feeling restless.
- Helps your body and mind release suppressed deep emotional pain
- Reduce skin blemishes by adding Kunzea to your daily skin care routine and apply topically to your face.
- Supports your body through its natural process of keeping Candida in check
- May help soothe irritated skin
- Supports your skin's overall health and appearance
- May help soothe stiff and sore joints
- Add a few drops to your Thieves Household Cleaner when cleaning your home; you’ll love the added fresh scent!
- Stinky shoes? Add a few drops to footwear to help get rid of those nasty smells.
- DIY Your own Outdoor Spray: 8oz glass bottle, 6oz witch hazel, 1 cap of Thieves Cleaner, 10 drops purification essential oil blend, 10 drops each of peppermint and citronella essential oils, and 5 drops each of rosemary and kunzea essential oils
- Post Workout Roller Blend: 20 drops kunzea essential oil, 15 drops black pepper essential oil, 10 drops each of pine and orange essential oils… add to an empty roller bottle… fill the rest of the way with your favorite carrier oil… top with a roller fitment. Apply as needed to help with sore muscles.
A carrier oil can be any cold-pressed, seed-based oil (ideally organic and unrefined). This includes most cooking oil, like coconut oil, avocado oil, and olive oil. Personally, we LOVE using sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil, and the V6 Carrier oil (made by Young Living). This is the best way to dilute your essential oils for topical use.
DIY Essential Oil Blends Featuring Kunzea Essential Oil
Kunzea essential oil has a top to middle note with a woody, crisp, spicy, fresh aroma. Perfect to use 20-80% in your DIY blends. You can also use it as a replacement for Tea Tree essential oil or Manuka essential oil in any recipe.
- Breeze Diffuser Blend: 1 drop wintergreen, 2 drops tea tree, 3 drops each kunzea and Eucalyptus Radiata essential oils, with 3 drops of Citrus Fresh essential oil blend
- Clean Bathroom Diffuser Blend: 3 drops Purification essential oil blend, with 3 drops kunzea, 2 drops spearmint, and 1 drop tea tree essential oils
- Fairy Godmother Diffuser Blend: 2 drops of Purification essential oil blend with 2 drops each of kunzea, eucalyptus globulus, and grapefruit essential oils
- The Odyssey Diffuser Blend: 4 drops copaiba, 3 drops kunzea, and 2 drops lemon essential oils
- Superior National Forest Diffuser Blend: 3 drops each kunzea and copaiba essential oils, with 2 drops peppermint essential oil
- Worry-Free Get Away Diffuser Blend: 4 drops Peace & Calming, 3 drops Kunzea, and 2 drops Blue Spruce essential oils
Essential Oils That Blend Well With Kunzea Essential Oil
- Tea Tree
Frequently Asked Questions about Kunzea Essential Oil
Can you ingest Kunzea essential oil?
I do not recommend ingesting kunzea essential oil. It is not listed on the Generally Regarded as Safe FDA list for essential oils.
Is kunzea essential oil safe to use while pregnant?
I don't generally recommend kunzea essential oil for pregnant women mainly because there isn't much information available about it, and I do recommend more conservative use.
If you're using oils while pregnant, I highly recommend this reference guide. It contains some great advice for using essential oils while pregnant, plus some DIY Recipes you'll love too.
Is kunzea essential oil safe for kids and babies?
Generally, yes for children over 6.
While essential oils may be safe for kids to use, please do not have your child use an essential oil internally without being under the direct guidance of a naturopathic doctor.
If you're using oils with your kids, I highly recommend this reference guide. It contains some great advice for using essential oils with kids, plus some DIY Recipes you'll love too.
Can you be allergic to kunzea essential oil?
There are a few reasons why you would experience an allergy-like reaction to kunzea essential oil. Usually, this is caused by not diluting the oil you're applying (or not diluting it enough). Please refer to our essential oils and allergies article for more in-depth information.
Is kunzea essential oil safe for dogs and cats?
I do not generally recommend using kunzea essential oil on your pets because there is little information shared about it. Kunzea is closely related to tea tree, so please use cautiously around your animals, and consider using as the non-dominant oil in a homemade oil blend if you do choose to use it with your animals.
As always, please consult with a holistic vet for more information.
If you're using essential oils around your family pets, be sure to allow them access out of the room and into a room where you're not diffusing. This way they're able to escape when they feel they've had enough. Please also consider picking up a reference guide specific to using essential oils with animals.
Should you use kunzea essential oil if you're taking medication?
This is a very personal question, and really depend on which medications you're taking. I have an entire article dedicated to known medication contraindications that I highly recommend you check out… in addition to having a lengthy conversation with your local aromatherapist or pharmacist.
How often should you use kunzea essential oil?
This is also a personal question. This depends on what you're using it for and how experienced you are using it. For beginners, I recommend only diffusing for 30 minutes at a time, then giving your body an hour break. If you diffuse too much, you could end up light headed. Personally, I have a diffuser running most of the day intermittently (using the intermittent setting on our diffuser). Or I'll wear a piece of diffusing jewelry with 3 drops of oil on it throughout the day (those 3 drops usually last a few days). Check out our article about diffusing essential oils safely for more info.
Don't see an answer to the question you have about kunzea essential oil?
Have a question you don't see? You're welcome to ask in the comments or fill out this form to ask anonymously.
Where to Buy High Quality Essential Oils
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach.
Warning: DO NOT purchase your oils through Amazon or similar websites!
Any website that allows anyone to sell on, such as Amazon, eBay, Walmart… etc… are terrible places to purchase essential oils. While you may get a “good deal,” knowing who you're purchasing from is difficult. There are many counterfeit essential oils being sold that are causing health ailments, major skin reactions, and a lot of misery. These are NOT high quality essential oils. They are fakes being sold purely for profit.
I also do NOT recommend purchasing from grocery stores, Walmart, Target, department stores, or drug stores. Many of the brands found at those stores have been proven to not actually contain any essential oil (which is perfectly legal to do).
I STRONGLY suggest you know the company that makes your oils, how the plants are cared for, what they do for distilling, how and how many times each batch is tested (and when), and their bottling processes. Many companies throw out fancy language for marketing purposes, but actually have no clue how their oils are made because the oils come from a broker (which are almost always diluted in solvents). Transparency is key.
I highly encourage you to check out our How To Find Quality Essential Oils post for in-depth information about why quality matters, and what to look for.
Where we purchase our essential oils, and why
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach. This company has proven to me time and time again to be the closest thing out there to buying from your local farmer. They are totally transparent in their processes, and even open their farms so you can see for yourself (or involve yourself in the process).
If you enjoyed this post, please comment below and share it with your friends and on your favorite Pinterest board to save it for later. Our website team LOVES to hear about your personal experiences and wins using essential oils.
Don't miss out on free essential oils, discounts on essential oil-infused household products, and healthy lifestyle coaching! Join our membership today for product discounts, group support, and complimentary coaching. Or take our complimentary online, self-paced introduction to essential oils course.
Looking for more info about essential oils and adopting a healthier lifestyle? Be sure to check out our Healthy Home online course for tips on how to identify and replace common harmful products from your home.