As your largest internal organ, the liver is one of the most important parts of your body because it acts as a filter (along with approximately 500 other crucial tasks) and keeps your whole body functioning as healthfully as possible. The liver can also affect your emotions, specifically causing negativity, hate, grief, and anger when it is feeling sluggish, congested, or unsupported. Thankfully there are several essential oils to support your liver that can help you cleanse, detoxify, and optimize your liver's functioning.
The information provided on this website is for educational purposes only. Nothing on this page has been evaluated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and is not intended to provide medical advice for any health condition, nor is it intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Signs Your Liver Needs Support
While serving as the waste management system of your body, your liver was divinely created with the remarkable ability to heal and cleanse itself. Unfortunately, your liver doesn’t have pain receptors to tell you it’s stressed. Thankfully, there are warning signs your body gives you to let you know your liver needs some love.
Not every person experiences symptoms of liver disease, especially in the early stages. As scarring of the liver and inflammation worsens, symptoms are more likely to become noticeable. Some of the most common types of liver diseases include:
- Abdominal pain or tenderness over your liver, specifically in the center or right upper part of the belly, and down toward the belly.
- jaundice, or yellowing of the skin
- Feeling tired all the time
- Nausea or vomiting
- Weight loss
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle weakness
- Confusion and trouble concentrating
- Bloating and gas
- Dark urine
- Bruising easily
- Excessive sweating
- Pale or dark tar-colored stool
- Dry and dark patches on your neck and underarms
- Swelling in your legs and ankles
- Hormonal imbalances that manifest as conditions like high cholesterol levels, PMS, irregular periods, acne, mood swings, or other hormone-related symptoms
The first signs of liver damage tend to be abdominal pain, digestive issues, loss of appetite, or bloody stools. As liver damage and scarring progress, symptoms may evolve to manifest as edema, chronic fatigue, cognitive impairment, changes in your skin condition, and other issues.
The Benefits To Supporting Your Liver
When your liver is feeling good and functioning optimally, you feel the positive benefits throughout your body.
- Increased energy levels
- Clearer skin
- More regular menstrual cycle with reduced PMS
- Less sinus pain
- Fewer infections and a stronger immune system
- Fewer digestive complaints
- More bowel regularity
- Fresher breath and better overall oral health
- A positive mood and sharper mind
Natural Ways To Support Your Liver
- Avoid drinking alcohol in excess
- Avoid taking drugs, and any unnecessary pharmaceuticals
- Remove harmful, nonnutritious foods from your diet
- Eat a healthy diet (organic, sustainable, and ethically farmed) and anti-inflammatory diet
- Drink raw vegetable juices
- Use liver-boosting supplements
- Reduce your stress
- Use liver-supporting essential oils
- Live a healthy lifestyle and avoid environmental toxins,
** Please note, our authors may make a small commission from sales made after clicking on partnership links provided on this website through predetermined partnerships. For more information, please see our disclaimers page. EssentialOils.Life authors only provide recommendations that we have extensively researched, personally used, and really like.
23 Best Essential Oils To Support Your Liver Function
A great way to support your liver health and liver detoxification is by using pure essential oils. Please keep in mind, that if you have underlying medical conditions and are taking medications, there may be some contraindications with essential oils.
- Caraway essential oil is a digestive tonic that helps improve your eyesight, sweetens your breath, and replenishes your energy levels
- Cardamom essential oil specifically helps to refresh and soothe your digestive tract, with similar properties to ginger.
- Carrot Seed essential oil cleanses your liver
- Celery Seed essential oil may help stimulate drainage as your body purges toxins through the digestive tract.
- Clary Sage essential oil may help your body release stored anger (your liver is directly tied to angry emotional responses).
- Cypress essential oil has diuretic properties that help your body flush out toxins from your liver
- Dill essential oil helps strengthen your liver and supports your pancreas, soothing your digestive tract.
- Fennel essential oil supports your body's digestive function and may protect your liver by assisting your body's natural detoxification process to eliminate the buildup of certain toxins.
- Geranium essential oil assists your liver by expanding bile ducts
- German chamomile essential oil stimulates bile secretions and supports your body's natural liver detoxing processes
- Ginger essential oil helps stimulates liver secretions, and may help soothe fatty liver conditions
- Grapefruit oil serves as a digestive diuretic, stimulant, and tonic that may also have a cleansing effect on the kidneys and lymphatic system. When your liver is stressed, it places additional stress on your kidneys, so it is important to support both together.
- Helichrysum essential oil supports your body's natural blood-cleansing activities and liver functioning which helps cut through anger
- Juniper essential oil supports your body's blood purification processes and relieves some of the liver’s burden
- Ledum essential oil provides cleansing, harmonizing, and balancing properties that support your liver
- Orange oil serves as a digestive diuretic and has cleansing properties that helps your digestive tract purge waste
- Patchouli essential oil is a digestive diuretic, stimulant, and tonic. It also helps dissolve toxins stored in your body and may help you reduce weight.
- Peppermint essential oil stimulates healthy bile flow within your liver
- Roman Chamomile
- Rosemary essential oil enhances bile flow and may help reduce excess liver enzymes
- Sage essential oil stimulates your digestive system and supports your hormone production, helping your body work more optimally, which also reduces mental fatigue and emotional strain
- Spearmint essential oil balances and increases metabolism, which helps your body burn up fats and toxins. Also has similar properties to peppermint, helping with supporting your digestive tract.
- Thyme essential oil has a rich history of helping support your body's digestive process to operate more efficiently
** PLEASE NOTE ** Don't be fooled by clever marketing. Not all essential oils are created equally. Make sure you're not wasting your money on fake or altered essential oils (even if they're labeled as “pure essential oil”). Don't miss our explosive report outlining the dirty little secrets of the essential oil industry to ensure you're not wasting your money on brands of oils that legally mislead you through deceitful marketing practices.
5 Essential Oil Blends That Support Functions of the Liver
The great thing about essential oils is they work great on their own, but they are also great to blend to give alternative options and help change up the aroma and properties of what you inhale or apply to your skin.
5 DIY Essential Oil Blends for Liver Support
- Liver Love DIY Essential Oil Blend: 7 drops Helichrysum (or lavender), 7 drops Frankincense essential oil, 3 drops of Geranium essential oil, 3 drops of Turmeric essential oil, and 2 drops of Rosemary essential oil
- Clean Your Liver DIY Essential Oil Blend: 2 drops of each juniper, lemongrass, clove, grapefruit, eucalyptus (globulus), and frankincense essential oils
- Essential Oil Detox: 2 drops each of geranium, lemon, rosemary, Roman chamomile, myrrh, and peppermint essential oils
- Liver Detox DIY Essential Oil Blend: 2 drops each of juniper, lemon, clove, thyme, fennel, and coriander essential oils
- Liver Cleanse DIY Essential Oil Blend: 2 drops each of peppermint, carrot seed, ginge, rosemary, pine, and geranium essential oils
2 Non-DIY Essential Oil Blends to Support Your Liver
Our two favorite non-DIY essential oil blends to support your liver come from Young Living:
- Juva Cleanse is a pre-made blend of helichrysum, Ledum, and celery seed essential oils combined to help cleanse and detoxify your liver
- Juva Flex is a pre-made blend of fennel, geranium, rosemary, roman chamomile, blue tansy, and helichrysum that assists your body's natural cleansing abilities to your liver, helping it strengthen and detoxify your lymphatic system. It also helps provide digestive support and break free from addictions.
How To Use Essential Oils To Support Your Liver
To use these blends, you can add them to a diffuser, dilute 1:5 with a carrier oil to massage over your lower back, or turn them into a roller bottle to apply over your liver area. You can also use the topical application to the bottom of your feet along the arches where your vitaflex points are for your liver.
A carrier oil can be any cold-pressed, seed-based oil (ideally organic and unrefined). This includes most cooking oil, like coconut oil, avocado oil, and olive oil. Personally, we LOVE using sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil, and the V6 Carrier oil (made by Young Living). This is the best way to dilute your essential oils for topical use.
Need empty bottles? You can order them from any bottle supply shop that offers essential oil bottles or even off Amazon. Personally, we save our old essential oil bottles, remove the labels, and reuse the bottles with a roller fitment. On occasion, we indulge in a YL branded roller bottle (they're so pretty). To reuse your bottles, ensure they are clean by soaking the empty bottle disassembled in boiling water for at least 15 minutes. Then let dry. Need a fun roller bottle?
Apply by lightly coating your skin beneath your right rib cage and behind your ears. You may also inhale the aroma with several slow, deep breaths.
Detox Bath Salts Recipe with Essential Oils To Support Your Liver
- 1 cup of sea salt
- 1 cup of Epsom salts
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 2 drops of Rosemary essential oil
- 5 drops of Grapefruit oil
- 5 drops of Frankincense essential oil
Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl, and then combine all essential oils in a glass dish. Fill your bathtub with the hottest water your body can handle. Combine the salts and vinegar, swirl, and then add the essential oils. Dump the mix into the tub and stir with your hand.
Soak your body in the detox bath for 20 minutes. Staying in any longer may cause your body may reabsorb the toxins you have released. Rinse off the remaining salt on your body in the shower, and be sure to drink a large glass of water when you're done to help continue flushing toxins and built-up waste from your body.
Why Are There So Many Essential Oils To Support Your Liver? How Do You Choose Which One To Use?
This question comes up a lot in our coaching. How do you know which essential oil to choose?
Each body is different, so what works for one person may not work as well for you, even when it comes to using essential oils to support your liver. Thankfully, there are plenty of essential oils to choose from. Plus, your body needs variety, so alternating between more than one is ideal.
Just like you do not want to eat the same things every day, you want to vary your oil blends as well. Alternating a variety of different oils to support your liver is always best.
If you enjoyed this post, please comment below and share it with your friends and on your favorite Pinterest board to save it for later. Our website team LOVES to hear about your personal experiences and wins using essential oils.
Don't miss out on free essential oils, discounts on essential oil-infused household products, and healthy lifestyle coaching! Join our membership today for product discounts, group support, and complimentary coaching. Or take our complimentary online, self-paced introduction to essential oils course.
Looking for more info about essential oils and adopting a healthier lifestyle? Be sure to check out our Healthy Home online course for tips on how to identify and replace common harmful products from your home.