Geranium essential oil comes from the Pelargonium graveolens plant, a multibranched shrub that grows up to 5 feet tall, and is produced by steam distilling the plant’s flowers and leaves. It is native to subtropical southern Africa and was used by the Egyptians to promote beautiful, radiant skin.
Geranium Essential Oil has a lovely floral aroma very similar to roses that is calming and uplifting. It encourages peaceful, spiritual feelings, making it a great oil for your living room or meditative spaces.
- Constituents in Geranium Essential Oil:
- 16 Fun Uses and Benefits for Geranium Essential Oil
- Frequently Asked Questions about Geranium Essential Oil
- Can you use geranium essential oil directly on your skin?
- Is Geranium essential oil safe to use while pregnant?
- Is Geranium essential oil safe for kids and babies?
- Can you be allergic to Geranium essential oil?
- Is Geranium essential oil safe for dogs and cats?
- Should you use Geranium essential oil if you're taking medication?
- How often should you use Geranium essential oil?
- Don't see an answer to the question you have about Geranium essential oil?
- Where to Buy High Quality Geranium Essential Oils
Constituents in Geranium Essential Oil:
- Citronellyl Formate
16 Fun Uses and Benefits for Geranium Essential Oil
- Add to your favorite lotion, body wash, or hair care products to instantly give your personal care products a lovely scent.
- Add a few drops to Epsom salts for a steamy bath to create a relaxing, spa-like experience
- Diffuse while meditating to encourage a more peaceful environment
- Diffuse in the office or classroom for a comforting aroma.
- Add to a neutral moisturizer and apply morning and night to create the appearance of healthier-looking skin.
- Combine with oils such as Lavender and Ylang Ylang and add to a hot bath. The rich, luxurious aroma will create a private getaway.
- Mix with Lavender oil and scent-free aloe vera to moisturize and soothe skin after a long day in the sun.
- Mix geranium in your favorite DIY face mask recipe
- Geranium essential oil was historically used by the Egyptians to promote beautiful, radiant-looking skin when applied topically
- Soothe menstrual cramping and helps with heavy flows
- Support your body's digestive functioning by applying diluted over your abdomen
- Apply (diluted) to wrists or the nape of the neck for a sweet, floral, and natural perfume.
- May help to release negative emotions and memories and help you regain inner peace
- Add to your favorite piece of diffusing jewelry to use as a perfume without applying to your skin
- Eases nervous tension and stress
- Fosters a sense of wellbeing and hope
- Sets you up for being more open to new ideas or opportunities
I personally LOVE wearing diffuser necklaces and occasionally wear diffusing bracelets. You can find my favorite beautiful diffusing jewelry mentioned in our guide to diffusing jewelry.
5 DIY Geranium Essential Oil Diffuser Blends
- Open Your Heart Diffuser Blend: 3 drops lemon, one drop each lavender, peppermint, and geranium
- Hello Spring Time Diffuser Blend: 2 drops each lemon, grapefruit, geranium
- Peaceful Feelings Diffuser Blend: 2 drops lavender, 2 drops orange, 1 drop geranium, 1 drop clary sage
- Entertaining Friends Diffuser Blend: 3 drops bergamot, 3 drops lavender, 2 drops bergamot
- Lovely Valentine Diffuser Recipe: 4 drops orange, 3 drops lavender, 2 drops geranium
Which essential oils does geranium essential oil blend well with?
Geranium essential oil tends to blend well with everything.
Non-DIY Essential Oil Blends Featuring Geranium Essential Oil
- Gentle Baby
- Highest Potential
- Lady Sclareol
- Magnify Your Purpose
- Oola Balance
- Oola Grow
- Trauma Life
- White Angelica
Frequently Asked Questions about Geranium Essential Oil
Can you use geranium essential oil directly on your skin?
I highly recommend against applying geranium essential oil “neat” (without diluting). Please consider using a good carrier oil to dilute your geranium oil with. If you're looking for something that absorbs fast, go with grapeseed. My personal favorite is sweet almond. We suggest you dilute 1 drop essential per ml of carrier oil. The least amount of diluting we recommend is 50%.
A carrier oil can be any cold-pressed, seed-based oil (ideally organic and unrefined). This includes most cooking oil, like coconut oil, avocado oil, and olive oil. Personally, we LOVE using sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil, and the V6 Carrier oil (made by Young Living). This is the best way to dilute your essential oils for topical use.
Is Geranium essential oil safe to use while pregnant?
Generally Geranium essential oil should be used cautiously while pregnant.
If you're using oils while pregnant, I highly recommend this reference guide. It contains some great advice for using essential oils while pregnant, plus some DIY Recipes you'll love too.
Is Geranium essential oil safe for kids and babies?
Generally, no. Geranium should not be used on children under 6.
Can you be allergic to Geranium essential oil?
There are a few reasons why you would experience an allergy-like reaction to essential oils. Usually, this is caused by not diluting the oil you're applying (or not diluting it enough). Please refer to our essential oils and allergies article for more in-depth information.
Is Geranium essential oil safe for dogs and cats?
Lemon essential oil is safe to use with your dogs. It is not considered a safe to use around cats.
If you're using essential oils around your family pets, be sure to allow them access out of the room and into a room where you're not diffusing. This way they're able to escape when they feel they've had enough. Please also consider picking up a reference guide specific to using essential oils with animals.
Should you use Geranium essential oil if you're taking medication?
This is a very personal question, and really depend on which medications you're taking. I have an entire article dedicated to known medication contraindications that I highly recommend you check out… in addition to having a lengthy conversation with your local aromatherapist or pharmacist.
How often should you use Geranium essential oil?
This is also a personal question. This depends on what you're using it for and how experienced you are using it. For beginners, I recommend only diffusing for 30 minutes at a time, then giving your body an hour break. If you diffuse too much, you could end up light headed. Personally, I have a diffuser running most of the day intermittently (using the intermittent setting on our diffuser). Or I'll wear a piece of diffusing jewelry with 3 drops of oil on it throughout the day (those 3 drops usually last a few days). Check out our article about diffusing essential oils safely for more info.
Don't see an answer to the question you have about Geranium essential oil?
Have a question you don't see? You're welcome to ask in the comments or fill out this form to ask anonymously.
Where to Buy High Quality Geranium Essential Oils
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach.
Warning: DO NOT purchase your oils through Amazon or similar websites!
Any website that allows anyone to sell on, such as Amazon, eBay, Walmart… etc… are terrible places to purchase essential oils. While you may get a “good deal,” knowing who you're purchasing from is difficult. There are many counterfeit essential oils being sold that are causing health ailments, major skin reactions, and a lot of misery. These are NOT high quality essential oils. They are fakes being sold purely for profit.
I also do NOT recommend purchasing from grocery stores, Walmart, Target, department stores, or drug stores. Many of the brands found at those stores have been proven to not actually contain any essential oil (which is perfectly legal to do).
I STRONGLY suggest you know the company that makes your oils, how the plants are cared for, what they do for distilling, how and how many times each batch is tested (and when), and their bottling processes. Many companies throw out fancy language for marketing purposes, but actually have no clue how their oils are made because the oils come from a broker (which are almost always diluted in solvents). Transparency is key.
I highly encourage you to check out our How To Find Quality Essential Oils post for in-depth information about why quality matters, and what to look for. And don't forget to check out our article about all the dirty little secrets that happen in the essential oil industry!
Where we purchase our geranium essential oils, and why
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach. This company has proven to me time and time again to be the closest thing out there to buying from your local farmer. They are totally transparent in their processes, and even open their farms so you can see for yourself (or involve yourself in the process).
To order geranium essential oil through Young Living, you'll need an account. To create one, you will find links to the step by step guide for your country if you scroll down on our Membership Page. If you don't need instructions, you can create your account >>Here<< Geranium is listed as product Item # 3554.
Did you find value in this post? Please like, comment, and share to let us know you'd like seeing more content like this. And be sure to subscribe in the form below to join our email newsletter.
P.S. If you're craving more info on essential oils and how to incorporate them in your everyday life, be sure to check out our Membership Page where you can learn how to become a part of our thriving online community, gain access to our favorite tested and recommended DIY recipes, have your questions answered, and find more inspiration on living a healthy lifestyle.