Clove essential oil has a spicy, warm, almost woody aroma, perfect for everything fall and wellness. Clove essential oil is created by steam distilling the flower bud and stems from the syzygium aromaticum shrub and tree plants.
It’s key constituents are eugenol (75-85%), eugenol acetate (8-15%), and beta-carophyllene (2-7%).
Clove oil is the most concentrated antioxidant known with an ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) value of over 1,000,000. By comparison the ORAC score for blueberries is only 2,400.
Aromatically, Clove encourages sleep, stimulates dreams, and creates a sense of protection and courage.
Our favorite clove essential oil uses and benefits include:
- Supports cardiovascular wellness
- Stimulates the limbic system
- Cleansing to the digestive tract when taken internally
- Soothing to sore muscles when applied topically
- Soothing and mildly numbing to sore mouth, gums, and teeth when swished in your oil pulling routine
- Mentally stimulating when diffused or applied topically
- Stimulates dreams
- Enhances courage
- Mildly numbing when applied topically
- Promotes restful sleep
- Helps you feel courageous
- Great to use with peppermint in a spray to deter ants (20 drops each peppermint and clove with a pinch of salt in a 16oz glass bottle, and filled the rest of the way with distilled water)
- Use it in your homemade DIY Pumpkin Spice Cleaner
- Add it in your homemade DIY Foaming Hand Soap Recipe
Our Favorite Diffuser Blends with Clove Essential Oil
- Christmas Cookies: 2 drops lemon, 2 drops bergamot, 2 drops cinnamon, 2 drops clove, 1 drop nutmeg
- October Breeze: 2 drops juniper, 2 drops clove, 2 drops cedarwood
- Cozy Home: 2 drops tangerine, 2 drops rosemary, 1 drop clove
- Snowed In: 2 drops clove, 2 drops cardamom, 2 drops copaiba
- Spa Day: 2 drops clove, 2 drops patchouli, 1 drop basil, 1 drop geranium
- Through the Fog: 3 drops clove, 2 drops cypress, 2 drops frankincense, 1 drop peppermint
- Pumpkin Pie: 4 drops cardamom, 2 drops orange, 1 drop each cinnamon and clove
- Warm Home Diffuser Blend
** PLEASE NOTE ** Don’t be fooled by clever marketing. Not all essential oils are created equally. Make sure you’re not wasting your money on fake essential oils, or oils diluted in questionable solvents. Don’t miss our guide on how to find quality essential oils to make sure you’re not wasting your money on brands that legally carry out questionable or unethical practices and mislead you through deceitful marketing practices.
Clove Vitality Essential Oil Recipes and Uses
Clove vitality is another excellent immune system enhancer, and is present in Thieves Vitality, ImmuPower, Inner Defense, and Longevity formulas.
Uses for Clove Vitality include:
- Helps boost your immune system when taken as a supplement (please make sure to heavily dilute)
- Cleansing to teeth and gums when you add to your toothpaste or oil pulling routine
- May help reduce toothaches and discomfort when you add to your favorite mouthwash or oil pulling routine
- May substitute ground cloves in recipes
- Add a drop to ginger bread, molasses cookies, and spice cakes
- Add clove, lemon, cinnamon, and nutmeg vitality oils to spice up a batch of apple cider
- Use 2 drops of clove vitality in your favorite homemade butternut squash recipe
- Add a drop or two to your favorite pancake or waffle recipe, along with nutmeg, cardamom, and cinnamon vitality essential oils.
- Use a few drops of clove essential oil in your favorite pumpkin pie recipe
- Add a drop of clove essential oil in your homemade spiced pumpkin coffee creamer
Which essential oils blend well with clove essential oil?
Clove essential oil blends well with
- Basil essential oil
- Bergamot essential oil
- Cinnamon bark essential oil
- Clary sage essential oil
- Grapefruit essential oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Lemon essential oil
- Nutmeg essential oil
- Orange essential oil
- Peppermint essential oil
- Rose essential oil
- Rosemary essential oil
- Ylang ylang essential oil
Frequently Asked Questions About Clove Essential Oil
Don’t see the question you’re looking for? Ask us!
Have a question you don’t see? You’re welcome to ask in the comments or fill out this form to ask anonymously.
Safely using clove essential oil
Please ensure you dilute clove essential oil before applying it to your skin by using your favorite carrier oil. I recommend diluting 1 drop per 1 ml of carrier oil for adults.
If you are choosing to use clove essential oil in your mouth, I highly recommend 1-2 drops per Tbsp of an oil like sunflower or coconut oil. Then swish around like you’re oil pulling.
A carrier oil can be any cold-pressed, seed-based oil (ideally organic and unrefined). This includes most cooking oil, like coconut, avocado, and olive oils. Personally, we LOVE using sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil, and Young Living’s V6 Carrier oil.
If you choose to use essential oils with your pests, please make sure you’re using clove oil responsibly. If you don’t have one already, be sure to pick up an essential oil animal reference guide to help you know how to use essential oils safely with your animals.
Where to find Clove Essential Oil
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach.
Warning: DO NOT purchase your oils through Amazon or similar websites!
Any website that allows anyone to sell on, such as Amazon, eBay, Walmart… etc… are terrible places to purchase essential oils. While you may get a “good deal,” knowing who you’re purchasing from is difficult. There are many counterfeit essential oils being sold that are causing health ailments, major skin reactions, and a lot of misery. These are NOT high quality essential oils. They are fakes being sold purely for profit.
I also do NOT recommend purchasing from grocery stores, Walmart, Target, department stores, or drug stores. Many of the brands found at those stores have been proven to not actually contain any essential oil (which is perfectly legal to do).
I STRONGLY suggest you know the company that makes your oils, how the plants are cared for, what they do for distilling, how and how many times each batch is tested (and when), and their bottling processes. Many companies throw out fancy language for marketing purposes, but actually have no clue how their oils are made because the oils come from a broker (which are almost always diluted in solvents). Transparency is key.
I highly encourage you to check out our How To Find Quality Essential Oils post for in-depth information about why quality matters, and what to look for.
Where we purchase our essential oils, and why
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach. This company has proven to me time and time again to be the closest thing out there to buying from your local farmer. They are totally transparent in their processes, and even open their farms so you can see for yourself (or involve yourself in the process).
We LOVE their farm-to-table approach to growing, distilling, bottling, and delivering your oils right to your door!
Pre-made essential oil blends and oil-infused products featuring clove essential oil:
- Abundance essential oil blend
- AromaGuard Medow Mist Deodorant
- AromaGuard Mountain Mint Deodorant
- BLM supplement for bones, ligaments, and muscle health
- Deep Relief Roll On essential oil blend
- En-R-Gee essential oil blend
- Essential Beauty Serum for dry skin
- Essentialzyme and Essentialzymes 4 digestive enzyme supplement
- ImmuPower essential oil blend
- Inner Defense supplement for wellness
- K&B supplement
- Kidscents Clique Toothpaste
- Longevity essential oil blend
- Longevity supplement for overall wellness
- Melrose essential oil blend
- OmegaGize omega supplement
- PanAway essential oil blend for stiff, sore muscles and joints
- ParaFree supplement for parasite cleansing
- Progessence Phyto Plus
- Progessence Plus serum for supporting healthy female hormones
- Thieves essential oil blend
- Thieves AromaBright Toothpaste
- Thieves AromaBright Whitening Toothpaste
- Thieves cleansing soap bar
- Thieves cough drops
- Thieves dental floss
- Thieves Dentarome Plus toothpaste
- Thieves Dentarome Ultra toothpaste
- Thieves foaming hand soap
- Thieves essence plus mouthwash
- Theives household cleaner
- Thieves lozenges
- Thieves Spray
- Thieves hand sanitizer
- Thieves wipes
If you enjoyed this post, please comment below and share with your friends and to your favorite Pinterest board to save it for later. Our website team LOVES to hear about your personal experiences and wins using essential oils.
Let’s Connect! You can find me on social media at:
- Our Free EssentialOils.Life Community (uses a web browser or the Mighty Networks App on tablet/phone devices)
- Receive Essential Oil Updates on LinkedIn
- Find me on Pinterest
- Meet me on GAB
To receive more tips, tricks, recipes, and other essential oil fun, be sure to scroll down and sign up for our free oily email community.
Looking for more info about essential oils and adopting a healthier lifestyle? Be sure to check out our online courses over at www.essentialoils.life/shop/
We have an incredible group of essential oils education leaders who are ready to help guide you on your journey, whether you need individual coaching, or just want to be part of an excellent online community filled with support, resources, and ideas on how to use your oils!