Clove essential oil has a spicy, warm, almost woody aroma, perfect for everything fall and wellness. Clove essential oil is created by steam distilling the flower bud and stems from the syzygium aromaticum shrub and tree plants.
It’s key constituents are eugenol (75-85%), eugenol acetate (8-15%), and beta-carophyllene (2-7%).
Clove oil is the most concentrated antioxidant known with an ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) value of over 1,000,000. By comparison the ORAC score for blueberries is only 2,400.
Aromatically, Clove encourages sleep, stimulates dreams, and creates a sense of protection and courage.
- Our favorite clove essential oil uses and benefits include:
- Our Favorite Diffuser Blends with Clove Essential Oil
- Clove Vitality Essential Oil Recipes and Uses
- Which essential oils blend well with clove essential oil?
- Safely using clove essential oil
- Is clove oil safe for dogs and cats?
- Is clove essential oil safe to use around babies or kids?
- Is clove essential oil safe to use when pregnant?
- Frequently Asked Questions About Clove Essential Oil
- Can you be allergic to clove essential oil?
- What is the difference between clove essential oil and clove vitality essential oil?
- Don’t see the question you’re looking for? Ask us!
- Where to find Clove Essential Oil
- Warning: DO NOT purchase your oils through Amazon or similar websites!
- Where we purchase our essential oils, and why
- Pre-made essential oil blends and oil-infused products featuring clove essential oil:
Our favorite clove essential oil uses and benefits include:
- Supports cardiovascular wellness
- Stimulates the limbic system
- Cleansing to the digestive tract when taken internally
- Soothing to sore muscles when applied topically
- Soothing to sore mouth, gums, and teeth when swished in your oil pulling routine
- Mentally stimulating when diffused or applied topically
- Stimulates dreams
- Enhances courage
- Mildly numbing when applied topically
- Promotes restful sleep
- Helps you feel courageous
Our Favorite Diffuser Blends with Clove Essential Oil
- Christmas Cookies: 2 drops lemon, 2 drops bergamot, 2 drops cinnamon, 2 drops clove, 1 drop nutmeg
- October Breeze: 2 drops juniper, 2 drops clove, 2 drops cedarwood
- Cozy Home: 2 drops tangerine, 2 drops rosemary, 1 drop clove
- Snowed In: 2 drops clove, 2 drops cardamom, 2 drops copaiba
- Spa Day: 2 drops clove, 2 drops patchouli, 1 drop basil, 1 drop geranium
- Through the Fog: 3 drops clove, 2 drops cypress, 2 drops frankincense, 1 drop peppermint
- Pumpkin Pie: 4 drops cardamom, 2 drops orange, 1 drop each cinnamon and clove
** PLEASE NOTE ** Don’t be fooled by clever marketing. Not all essential oils are created equally. Make sure you’re not wasting your money on fake essential oils, or oils diluted in questionable solvents. Don’t miss our guide on how to find quality essential oils to make sure you’re not wasting your money on brands that legally carry out questionable or unethical practices and mislead you through deceitful marketing practices.
Clove Vitality Essential Oil Recipes and Uses
Clove vitality is another excellent immune system enhancer, and is present in Thieves Vitality, ImmuPower, Inner Defense, and Longevity formulas.
Uses for Clove Vitality include:
- Helps boost your immune system when taken as a supplement (please make sure to heavily dilute)
- Cleansing to teeth and gums when you add to your toothpaste or oil pulling routine
- May help reduce toothaches and discomfort when you add to your favorite mouthwash or oil pulling routine
- May substitute ground cloves in recipes
- Add a drop to ginger bread, molasses cookies, and spice cakes
- Add clove, lemon, cinnamon, and nutmeg vitality oils to spice up a batch of apple cider
- Use 2 drops of clove vitality in your favorite homemade butternut squash recipe
- Add a drop or two to your favorite pancake or waffle recipe, along with nutmeg, cardamom, and cinnamon vitality essential oils.
- Use a few drops of clove essential oil in your favorite pumpkin pie recipe
- Add a drop of clove essential oil in your homemade spiced pumpkin coffee creamer
Which essential oils blend well with clove essential oil?
Clove essential oil blends well with
- Basil essential oil
- Bergamot essential oil
- Cinnamon bark essential oil
- Clary sage essential oil
- Grapefruit essential oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Lemon essential oil
- Nutmeg essential oil
- Orange essential oil
- Peppermint essential oil
- Rose essential oil
- Rosemary essential oil
- Ylang ylang essential oil
Safely using clove essential oil
Please ensure you dilute clove essential oil before applying it to your skin by using your favorite carrier oil. I recommend diluting 1 drop per 1 ml of carrier oil for adults.
If you are choosing to use clove essential oil in your mouth, I highly recommend 1-2 drops per Tbsp of an oil like sunflower or coconut oil. Then swish around like you’re oil pulling.
Is clove oil safe for dogs and cats?
Yes, clove essential oil is generally safe for dogs and cats. Just be sure you’re not using it at full strength, and if you’re diffusing be sure to give your animals a way to leave the room if they need to.
Please make sure you’re using this oil with your pets responsibly. If you don’t have one already, be sure to pick up an essential oil animal reference guide to help you know how to use essential oils safely with your animals.
Is clove essential oil safe to use around babies or kids?
While clove oil is often cited to use for teething, it is recommended across the essential oil community to not use clove oil by itself on kids under 6.
For using clove essential oil on children under 12, please be sure to dilute more than normal. I recommend diluting one drop per 5 ml of your favorite carrier oil.
Is clove essential oil safe to use when pregnant?
Clove essential oil is recommended to be used cautiously while pregnant. Please be sure to dilute more than normal.
Frequently Asked Questions About Clove Essential Oil
Can you be allergic to clove essential oil?
There are a few reasons why you could have some sort of reaction to clove essential oil that may or may not be allergy related. Please review our article about being allergic to essential oils for specific information.
Many people mistaken an uncomfortable or painful rash as an allergic reaction. This happens a lot when you use essential oils without diluting them. Clove essential oil is no exception. Please ensure you’re diluting with a carrier oil (any cold pressed seed-based oil)… not water. If you experience an uncomfortable or painful rash, be sure to add carrier oil to the spot you applied clove oil to. This will help the sensation calm down within a few moments. See our 12 rules for using essential oils safely for more info about how to use oils safely on your skin.
What is the difference between clove essential oil and clove vitality essential oil?
Absolutely nothing. They are the exact same oil that is packaged using different labels. Young Living packages their oils with two different labels because of FDA requirements that state you cannot have a supplement that may be taken orally or in food and discuss that same supplement also be used topically or aromatically.
To continue to be able to share how to use clove essential oil in recipes, supplements, or even in oil-pulling routines, we legally are required to ensure that type of public discussion does not include using the same oils that are marketed for being used in your diffuser or on your skin.
Don’t see the question you’re looking for? Ask us!
Have a question you don’t see? You’re welcome to ask in the comments or fill out this form to ask anonymously.
Where to find Clove Essential Oil
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach.
Warning: DO NOT purchase your oils through Amazon or similar websites!
Any website that allows anyone to sell on, such as Amazon, eBay, Walmart… etc… are terrible places to purchase essential oils. While you may get a “good deal,” knowing who you’re purchasing from is difficult. There are many counterfeit essential oils being sold that are causing health ailments, major skin reactions, and a lot of misery. These are NOT high quality essential oils. They are fakes being sold purely for profit.
I also do NOT recommend purchasing from grocery stores, Walmart, Target, department stores, or drug stores. Many of the brands found at those stores have been proven to not actually contain any essential oil (which is perfectly legal to do).
I STRONGLY suggest you know the company that makes your oils, how the plants are cared for, what they do for distilling, how and how many times each batch is tested (and when), and their bottling processes. Many companies throw out fancy language for marketing purposes, but actually have no clue how their oils are made because the oils come from a broker (which are almost always diluted in solvents). Transparency is key.
I highly encourage you to check out our How To Find Quality Essential Oils post for in-depth information about why quality matters, and what to look for.
Where we purchase our essential oils, and why
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach. This company has proven to me time and time again to be the closest thing out there to buying from your local farmer. They are totally transparent in their processes, and even open their farms so you can see for yourself (or involve yourself in the process).
We LOVE their farm-to-table approach to growing, distilling, bottling, and delivering your oils right to your door!
Pre-made essential oil blends and oil-infused products featuring clove essential oil:
- Abundance essential oil blend
- AromaGuard Medow Mist Deodorant
- AromaGuard Mountain Mint Deodorant
- BLM supplement for bones, ligaments, and muscle health
- Deep Relief Roll On essential oil blend
- En-R-Gee essential oil blend
- Essential Beauty Serum for dry skin
- Essentialzyme and Essentialzymes 4 digestive enzyme supplement
- ImmuPower essential oil blend
- Inner Defense supplement for wellness
- K&B supplement
- Kidscents Clique Toothpaste
- Longevity essential oil blend
- Longevity supplement for overall wellness
- Melrose essential oil blend
- OmegaGize omega supplement
- PanAway essential oil blend for stiff, sore muscles and joints
- ParaFree supplement for parasite cleansing
- Progessence Phyto Plus
- Progessence Plus serum for supporting healthy female hormones
- Thieves essential oil blend
- Thieves AromaBright Toothpaste
- Thieves AromaBright Whitening Toothpaste
- Thieves cleansing soap bar
- Thieves cough drops
- Thieves dental floss
- Thieves Dentarome Plus toothpaste
- Thieves Dentarome Ultra toothpaste
- Thieves foaming hand soap
- Thieves essence plus mouthwash
- Theives household cleaner
- Thieves lozenges
- Thieves Spray
- Thieves hand sanitizer
- Thieves wipes
Did this post help you? What questions or experiences do you have? We would love to hear about it in the comments below!
P.S. To receive more tips, tricks, recipes, and other essential oil fun, be sure to scroll down and sign up for our free oily newsletter, and become a part of our free Facebook group.
Let’s Connect! You can find me on social media at:
We can’t wait to welcome you into our multinational supportive online membership community for complimentary essential oil individual and group coaching, access to our favorite resources, and to receive a 24% discount on all future essential oil and essential oil infused product purchases.
We have an incredible group of essential oils education leaders who are ready to help guide you on your journey, whether you need individual coaching, or just want to be part of an excellent online community filled with support, resources, and ideas on how to use your oils!