Lavender essential oil comes from steam distilling the flowering tops of Lavandula angustifolia (lavender) bushes, and has a light floral aroma.
Lavender essential oil is known as the “Swiss Army Knife” of essential oils, as it seems there is nothing it can’t help with. It consists of sesquiterpenes and a-pinenes (just to name a couple constituents), which have incredible properties for maximizing health.
Lavender’s aroma inspires consciousness, health, love, peace, and an overall sense of wellbeing.
- Lavender Essential Oil Uses and Benefits
- How to use lavender essential oil improve your quality of sleep
- How to use lavender essential oil to benefit your skin
- Using lavender essential oil in your hair
- Lavender Essential Oil DIY Diffuser Recipes
- Recipes featuring lavender vitality essential oil
- Essential oils that blend the best with lavender essential oil
- Frequently Asked Questions about Lavender Essential Oil
- Don’t see an answer to the question you have about lavender essential oil?
- References if you decide to use lavender essential oil with or around animals:
- Where to Buy High Quality Lavender Essential Oils
- Warning: DO NOT purchase your lavender oils through Amazon or similar websites!
- Where we purchase our lavender essential oils, and why
- How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- How do you use Lavender Essential Oil?
CAUTION – True lavender is often adulterer with hybrid lavender (lavandin), synthetic linalol and lineally acetate, or synthetic fragrance chemicals like ethyl vanillin.
Lavender Essential Oil Uses and Benefits
Lavender has virtually unlimited uses. Historically, it was used to promote love. Its known to help balance your body, support your cardiovascular and nervous systems, balance your emotions, and provides excellent support to your skin.
Lavender is incredible for helping reduce tension and helping you relax.
- Add a few drops to a cup of epsom salts and baking soda into a warm bath so you can feel relaxed and rejuvenated after a long day.
- Rub a few drops in your hands with some carrier oil (like coconut oil), cup your hands over your nose, then take a few deep breaths to calm your mind.
- Rub a few drops with some carrier oil on your feet, temples, wrists (or anywhere) to feel an almost instantly calm.
- Spray it on your sheets before bed to promote relaxation and sleep. Here is an awesome Lavender Linen Spray recipe by RealFoodRN.
How to use lavender essential oil improve your quality of sleep
Lavender is great at helping you relax, which helps you fall asleep. It also supports your respiratory system, so you can breathe easier, which helps you sleep longer with higher quality of sleep.
- Diffuse a few drops for the kids or rub a drop with some coconut oil on their feet to help them unwind and get ready for bed.
- Diffuse a few drops of lavender at night to help you fall and stay asleep
- Add a few drops of tangerine and black spruce to enhance the lavender in helping you relax and sleep (my favorite sleepy time blend!)
How to use lavender essential oil to benefit your skin
Lavender supports your skin by reducing wrinkles, brightening your skin, and reducing spots, making you feel more confident and beautiful. Feeling beautiful and confident help you become more productive and happier, which in turn creates a whole new level of happiness and positivity. When you look good, you feel better and act more confidently.
- Make your own skin toner with 1/4 cup witch hazel, 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar, 2 Tbs purified water, 1 tsp vegetable glycerin, 5 drops of geranium essential oil, and 10 drops each of frankincense and lavender essential oils.
- Add a drop of lavender to your mascara to extend the life of your mascara and help support your eye lash wellness
- Mix a few drops of lavender essential oil in a carrier oil and rub in on your skin on areas of irritation to help support the skin while it heals.
- Use lavender essential oil in your favorite DIY sugar scrub recipe
- After spending too much time out in the sun, add a couple drops of lavender essential oil to some coconut oil (or your favorite carrier oil) and rub over the red areas to help soothe your skin and support healing.
- Use lavender in your DIY home pedicure self-care routine using this DIY Peppermint Lavender Foot Scrub
- Add a couple drops of lavender essential oil to some coconut oil to remove your makeup, instead of using something that could contain toxic ingredients.
- Use in your homemade diaper cream for your baby
Lavender is one of those oils that is easy to use everyday. Its soothingly pleasant aroma has so many uses and can easily be blended with other oils for targeted support, or just simply enjoyment.
While lavender essential oil is often talked about as the gentlest essential oil, and many people claim you can use lavender essential oil “neat” (without diluting), we highly recommend always to dilute essential oils at a 50% minimum. Usually I encourage our members to dilute 1 drop per ml of carrier oil.
Using lavender essential oil in your hair
Lavender essential oil has many benefits, including supporting your hair and the skin around your hair follicles.
- Add lavender to your favorite DIY beard oil
- Use a few drops of lavender essential oil in your DIY Hair Mask Recipe
Use lavender essential oil around your home
- Add 3 drops each lavender and rosemary to your dryer balls when you do laundry
- Make a room spray with 30 drops each of lavender, rosemary, and lemon essential oils in a 8 oz glass spray bottle filled with a pinch of salt and water
- Use lavender in your homemade hand sanitizer
- Add lavender essential oil to your homemade foaming hand soap recipe
Lavender Essential Oil DIY Diffuser Recipes
- Happy Spring Blend: 3 drops each peppermint, lavender, and lemon essential oils
- Sweet Dreams Blend: 2 drops each black spruce, lavender, and tangerine essential oils
Recipes featuring lavender vitality essential oil
- Lavender Lemonade
- Make a lavender simple syrup
- Add a drop of lavender to your icing recipe to use on cupcakes
Be sure to check out our vitality essential oil conversion chart to see how much essential oil to use in your recipes!
Essential oils that blend the best with lavender essential oil
While lavender essential oil tends to blend well with most oils, it blends especially well with:
- Citrus oils
- Clary Sage
Frequently Asked Questions about Lavender Essential Oil
Don’t see an answer to the question you have about lavender essential oil?
Have a question you don’t see? You’re welcome to ask in the comments or fill out this form to ask anonymously.
References if you decide to use lavender essential oil with or around animals:
If you’re using essential oils around your family pets, be sure to allow them access out of the room and into a room where you’re not diffusing. This way they’re able to escape when they feel they’ve had enough. Please also consider picking up a reference guide specific to using essential oils with animals.
Where to Buy High Quality Lavender Essential Oils
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach.
Warning: DO NOT purchase your lavender oils through Amazon or similar websites!
Any website that allows anyone to sell on, such as Amazon, eBay, Walmart… etc… are terrible places to purchase essential oils. While you may get a “good deal,” knowing who you’re purchasing from is difficult. There are many counterfeit essential oils being sold that are causing health ailments, major skin reactions, and a lot of misery. These are NOT high quality essential oils. They are fakes being sold purely for profit.
I also do NOT recommend purchasing from grocery stores, Walmart, Target, department stores, or drug stores. Many of the brands found at those stores have been proven to not actually contain any essential oil (which is perfectly legal to do).
I STRONGLY suggest you know the company that makes your oils, how the plants are cared for, what they do for distilling, how and how many times each batch is tested (and when), and their bottling processes. Many companies throw out fancy language for marketing purposes, but actually have no clue how their oils are made because the oils come from a broker (which are almost always diluted in solvents). Transparency is key.
I highly encourage you to check out our How To Find Quality Essential Oils post for in-depth information about why quality matters, and what to look for.
Where we purchase our lavender essential oils, and why
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a higher standard for essential oils than what the rest of the industry expects. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to a farm-to-table type of approach. This company has proven to me time and time again to be the closest thing out there to buying from your local farmer. They are totally transparent in their processes, and even open their farms so you can see for yourself (or involve yourself in the process).
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my online essential oil class, to learn the basics.
Other products containing lavender essential oil: ART Beauty Masque, ART Foaming Cleanser, ART Purifying Toner, AromaGard Meadow Mist Deodorant, Aroma Seiz, Awaken, Brain Power, ClaraDerm, Copaiba Vanilla Moisturizing Conditioner and shampoo, Drangon Time, Dragon Time Bath and Shower Gel, Dragon Time Massage oil, Egyptian Gold, Envision, Essential Beauty Serum, Estro, Forgiveness, Gathering, Gentle Baby, Harmony, Highest Potential, Tender Tush, LavaDerm Cooling Mist, Lavender Bath & Shower Gel, Lavender Lotion, Lavender Conditioner, Lavender Foaming Hand Soap, Lavender Hand & Body Lotion, Lavender Lip Balm, Lavender Mint Conditioner, Lavender Mint Shampoo, Lavender Rosewood Moisturizing Soap, Lavender Shampoo, M-Grain, Mister, Motivation, Oola Balance, Oola Grow, Orange Blossom Facial Wash, Prostate Health, RC, Relaxation Massage Oil, RutaVaLa, Stress Away, Sara, Sandalwood Moisturizing Cream, Sleep Essence, Surrender, Tranquil, Trauma Life, Wolfberry Eye Cream.
How do you use Lavender Essential Oil?
I would love to hear about it in the comments below!
Did you find this post helpful? If you enjoyed this post, please comment below and share. Subscribe to our email newsletter by filling out your information in the form below to stay in touch and learn about our latest posts, news, recipes, tips, tricks, and more!
New to essential oils? Be sure to check out our FREE Introduction to Essential Oils Email Class!