The holiday season is much more meaningful than gifts and receiving. Both feel great, but what do you give someone who has everything? Time, care, energy, and creativity.
On this page, we will give your our favorite DIY gift ideas, along with instructions for how to make them.
Perfect Holiday Self-Care Gift Ideas that feature Essential Oils
Nothing quite says “your presence in my life is meaningful” quite like making thoughtful gifts. Plus, they’re very easy to double the recipe to keep some self care items for you too.
And using essential oils in your DIY gifts shows how much you care for the wellbeing of those whom your’e gifting to. While you could use synthetic fragrances, you know essential oils will compliment their bodies and wellness in much healthier ways.
** PLEASE NOTE ** Don’t be fooled by clever marketing. Not all essential oils are created equally. Make sure you’re not wasting your money on fake essential oils, or oils diluted in questionable solvents. Don’t miss our guide on how to find quality essential oils to make sure you’re not wasting your money on brands that legally carry out questionable or unethical practices and mislead you through deceitful marketing practices.
** Please note, we are participants in Amazon’s partner program, and may receive small commissions from sales made through using our links. We will only link to products we’ve personally tried, use, and love. For more information, see our disclosure page.
Easy Bath Bombs
Bath bombs are surprisingly simple to make, and this recipe will be enough to make 4.
Bath Bomb Ingredients:
- Baking Soda (1 cup)
- Citric Acid (1/2 cup)
- Epsom Salt (1/4 cup)
- Fractionated Coconut Oil (this is the fractionated coconut oil we use)
- Your choice of essential oils (we use these)
- Witch Hazel (this is the witch hazel we use) in a spray bottle
- Ball Mold (this is our favorite ball mold)
Directions for putting together your DIY Bath Bombs:
- Combine baking soda, citric acid, and Epsom salts in a bowl, and mix well.
- Add your coconut oil and essential oils of your choice, in this recipe we are using Stress Away and Peppermint, and mix well
- Mist your mix with witch hazel until it clumps
- Fill two halves of your ball mold, and push the halves together until they form a ball.
- Wait. Keep the mold closed for 30 minutes.
- Remove one of the sides, and allow to dry overnight.
Lavender Oatmeal Bath Salts
Bath Salts are a great tool for self care, especially if you’re gifting to someone with strong empathic qualities.
Ingredients for your Lavender Oatmeal Bath Salts
Directions for making your Lavender Oatmeal Bath Salts
To make your Lavender Oatmeal Bath Salts, first grind the dry oats in a food processor, blender, or coffee grinder until they are a flour type texture. Mix all your ingredients in a bowl until your essential oils (we chose Lavender and Frankincense) are evenly distributed throughout the mix, and then pour into a glass jar to store.
Eye Make-Up Remover Pads
This is a great gift for the person in your life who wears makeup on a regular basis. So many skin care items are filled with harmful ingredients, so having something healthy to help them remove their makeup is very thoughtful and helpful.
Ingredients for your homemade eye make-up remover pads
Combine the lavender essential oil with witch hazel and water, then shake thoroughly. Press your cotton rounds into the glass jar until the liquid solution soaks through. Tighten the lid.
If you’re using a mason jar like linked above, you can make the packaging more festive by adding a thin piece of cloth between the lid pieces, and add a string or hemp cord bow around the lid.
DIY Decorative Hand Soap
These cute little hand soaps are lovely additions to any bathroom or kitchen, and make fantastic stocking stuffers.
- Soap Base (we love this goats milk soap base and this vegan glycerin soap base)
- Raw Honey (preferably locally sourced)
- Peppermint essential oil
- Cedarwood essential oil
- Soap Mold (we love these flower soap molds and these snowflake soap molds)
Either shred or cut into cubes your soap base. Then heat up your soap, either on low heat in the microwave in 30 second increments or on the stove in a double boiler until completely melted.
Stir in your raw honey and essential oils. Then pour your mixture into your soap molds. Let your soap mix in the molds rest until cool and hardened.
Lavender Bubble Bath Mix
This is a great gift for those who enjoy taking self care baths.
- An unscented shower gel (this is our favorite) or Castile soap
- Vegetable glycerin (be sure to choose the vegetable based, and not synthetic)
- Essential Oils (make sure you’re using real oils, and not falling for clever marketing)
- Olive oil style bottle
To make your lavender bubble bath, combine all ingredients and gently shake to combine.
If you’re looking for an easier way to share nontoxic bubble baths, you can also use these pre-made bath and shower gels:
- Sensation – an absolute must have for fostering feelings of self love and intimacy
- Evening Peace – great for unwinding after a long day
- Kidscents (my kids’ favorite)
Scented Diffuser Ornaments
These are among my kids’ absolute favorites to make.
Ingredients to make your scented diffuser ornaments:
- Air Dry Terracotta clay
- Cookie cutters (we recommend using stainless steel cookie cutters)
- Pine or spruce essential oils
Roll out your Terracotta clay to approximately 1/4 inch thick. Use your favorite stainless steel cookie cutters to create shapes.
Use a straw or toothpick to create a hole at the top to create space for a string or piece of thin ribbon to thread through.
Allow your clay the space to sit for at least 24 hours while it dries.
Then add 1-2 drops of the essential oil of your choice. Our personal favorite is this black spruce that comes from trees grown under the Northern Lights in Canada.
What are your favorite DIY gifts to give?
We would love to hear about what gifts you are making for your loved ones! Be sure to share with us in the comments below!
More articles you won’t want to miss:
- Self Care with Essential Oils
- Homemade Body Butter
- DIY Sugar Scrub
- Holiday Food Ideas & Recipes
- More DIY Fun
If you enjoyed this post, please comment below and share with your friends and to your favorite Pinterest board to save it for later. Our website team LOVES to hear about your personal experiences and wins using essential oils.
Let’s Connect! You can find me on social media at:
- Our Free EssentialOils.Life Community (uses a web browser or the Mighty Networks App on tablet/phone devices)
- Receive Essential Oil Updates on LinkedIn
- Find me on Pinterest
- Meet me on GAB
To receive more tips, tricks, recipes, and other essential oil fun, be sure to scroll down and sign up for our free oily email community.
Looking for more info about essential oils and adopting a healthier lifestyle? Be sure to check out our online courses over at www.essentialoils.life/shop/