Marjoram essential oil has a calming herb aroma that is soothing to the nerves, blood vessels, nerves, and muscles.
Marjoram is considered to have a middle note, herbaceous, green, and spicy aroma.
How Marjoram Essential Oil Is Made
Marjoram essential oil is made by steam distilling the leaves from the Labiate plant (mint family).
Through steam distilling the labiate plant’s leaves, we are able to create an essential oil rich in Monoterpenes that have a wide variety of benefits.
Marjoram Essential Oil Benefits
- Soothing to sore muscles
- Soothes body and joint discomfort
- Soothing to your upset digestive tract
- Stimulates a lethargic digestive tract
- Relaxes cramped muscles
- Soothing to nerve pain
- Relaxes finger joints during carpal tunnel flairs
- Calms muscle spasms
- May help relax Parkinson’s symptoms
- Soothing to sore throats
- Help promote peaceful sleep
- Reduce menstrual cramping
- Calm snoring while you sleep
How to use Marjoram Essential Oil
There are three main ways to use Marjoram essential oil:
- Diffuse in your favorite diffuser, by itself or blended with other oils
- Dilute one drop marjoram essential oil to 1ml carrier oil and apply to your skin
- Use in culinary creations as a flavoring agent
** Safety Precaution – do not use on children under 6.
Diffuser Blend Ideas using Marjoram Essential Oil
- Marjoram Sleep Blend: 2 drops each of lavender, vetiver, and marjoram
- Chill Out Diffuser Blend: 4 drops lavender, 3 drops clary sage, 2 drops ylang ylang, 2 drops marjoram
- Better Bedtime Diffuser Blend: 3 drops frankincense, 2 drops lavender, 2 drops marjoram, 1 drop vetiver
- Yoga Time: 3 drops marjoram, 2 drops roman chamomile, 1 drop sandalwood
- Nap Well: 3 drops marjoram, 3 drops patchouli, 2 drops lavender
- Stress Kick: 3 drops marjoram, 2 drops clary sage, 1 drop ylang ylang
- Dreamer: 3 drops marjoram, 2 drops cedarwood, 2 drops marjoram
- Sunshine in the Air: 2 drops each of ylang ylang, marjoram, cypress, tangerine
Our 10 Favorite Uses for Marjoram Essential Oil
- Dilute 2 drops of marjoram essential oil with your favorite carrier oil and apply to the bottom of your big toe to help reduce snoring
- Add a drop to your favorite moisturizer to help improve the appearance of dry skin.
- Combine a drop of Elemi and Marjoram with 10 drops of jojoba oil or grapeseed oil and apply to your clean face with a cotton ball.
- Add 2 drops to your foot cream before bed, put on thick socks, and wake up to softer feet for a no-show type of glow!
- Make a 10ml roller bottle using 5 drops each of of marjoram and lavender essential oils, filling the rest of the way with your favorite carrie oil – and applying to the bottom of your child’s feet before sleep
- Dilute and apply or diffuse when traveling to avoid jet lag, and better adjust to your new time zone
- Dilute and apply to help calm and soothe “chicken skin”
- Add a few drops to 1 tsp of carrier oil, and apply to your back to help soothe lower back pains
- Apply, diluted, to the back of your neck to reduce tension
- Diffuse when you’re congested
Edible Recipes featuring Marjoram Vitality Essential Oil
Has a mild, herbaceous, and savory flavor, that provides powerful antioxidant support that supports a healthy lifestyle and may support your digestive system when combined with a healthy diet.
- Substitute 1 drop of Marjoram Vitality per tablespoon of fresh marjoram in your favorite recipes.
** If less is called for, dip a toothpick in the Marjoram Vitality bottle and swirl it through your wet ingredients.
- Infuse a bottle of extra virgin olive oil with a drop of Marjoram Vitality to elevate bread dips.
- Add a drop or two to a fruit smoothie or green juice to support a healthy immune system.
- Add a drop of Marjoram Vitality to homemade Greek or Italian dressings
- Rev up your green smoothies with Marjoram Vitality for immune support
- Add to meat and vegetable marinades for elevated flavoring.
- Use in your favorite cheeseball recipe
My personal experience using Marjoram essential oil:
My absolute favorite way to use marjoram is using the vitality version to create the cheeseball featured above. I absolutely LOVE using herbs like Marjoram in their essential oil form because my 5 year old is excruciatingly picky about “green things” in his food. We opted to swap dried and fresh herbs for their oil counterparts because it allows us to cook flavorful foods and still have the energy of the herbs in our foods, without having the appearance. Amazingly, he eats just fine when those pesky little green dots aren’t a part of our culinary experiences.
Aside from food, I use this oil a lot in our Dragon Time blend for that time of the month. My woman cycles used to be debilitatingly painful before we embarked on our natural health lifestyle. Now, the cramping is very minor, and using oils helps to take away all the discomfort completely, allowing me to keep up with two young boys and two giant dogs without needing to curl into a fetal position and cry.
Would you like your experience featured?
Simply fill out this form, and we will select up to 3 testimonials to add to this page.
Historical References of Marjoram Essential Oil
Historically, marjoram was known to be the “herb of happiness” (Ancient Rome), and known to the Ancient Greeks as the “joy of the mountains.”
Marjoram was historically believed to increase longevity, and was featured in Eruope’s first authoritative guide to medicine, Dioscorides’ De Maria Medica (AD78), which is the standard reference for herbal treatments. It is also listed in Hildegard’s Medicine, which is a compilation of early Germain medicines.
Marjoram was historically used as:
- an antidote for poisoning,
- to aid in fluid retention,
- to soothe muscle spasms, sprains, bruises, and stiff joints,
- to cleanse obstructions from the liver and spleen
- relieve respiratory congestion
- and as an anointment at bedtime to dream of future relationships
Essential Oils To Blend with Marjoram
Marjoram blends really well with:
- Bergamot essential oil
- Cedarwood essential oil
- Chamomile essential oil
- Cypress essential oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Orange essential oil
- Nutmeg essential oil
- Rosemary essential oil
- Rosewood essential oil
- Ylang Ylang essential oil
Marjoram Essential Oil Frequently Asked Questions
Is marjoram essential oil safe to take while taking medications?
Please head over to our Essential Oils and Medications Contraindications article. In that article, we have a growing list of medication types along with oils for each time that we recommend avoiding, using cautiously, or limiting.
As always… if you’re currently taking medication, I highly recommend you discuss your meds and essential oils with your pharmacist or local certified aromatherapist.
Which essential oils can substitute Marjoram Essential Oil?
While there really is nothing that smells exactly like marjoram, the following oils have similar benefits to Marjoram
- Oregano essential oil
- Basil essential oil
- Mountain Savory essential oil
- Thyme essential oil
- Sage essential oil
- Lemongrass essential oil
Have a question about Marjoram Essential Oil you want answered?
We welcome new questions, and would love to help you answer your marjoram essential oil questions. Simply fill out this form, and we will get back to you as soon as possible. ** Submissions may be used anonymously on this website in the future.
Where to find Marjoram Essential Oil
We love purchasing from Young Living because of their dedication to quality and Seed To Seal Guarantee. Plus it is a refreshing breath of fresh air to purchase from a company that willingly invites you to the farms where the plant matter that creates the oil is created, distilled, and bottled. I adore their transparency, and their dedication to not be one of the many essential oil brands who conduct unethical marketing and manufacturing practices.
We LOVE their farm-to-table approach to growing, distilling, bottling, and delivering your oils right to your door!
Warning: Do NOT buy on Amazon!
While yes, you could find Marjoram essential oil on Amazon, I highly recommend against purchasing there. While I do LOVE Amazon… we purchase through them several times a month, and do make money from sales made on Amazon through this blog… I strongly advocate against purchasing essential oils from Amazon, eBay, or any other 3rd party sales website.
numerous countless reports of fraudulent oils being sold through their website. Young Living, along with most reputable brands, do not sell their products on Amazon because of safety concerns, and disallow distributors to sell via those sites through their policies and procedures. There are many sellers with fraudulent practices that claim to be selling from the manufacturing company, but do not acquire their oils from the manufacturer they claim to represent. Often they acquire empty bottles and fill them with fake oils, or highly diluted oils, then recap and sell. Many people have reported adverse reactions (some severe) because of those practices. Young Living (and most brands) will not stand by the quality of any oil sold on 3rd party websites, such as Walmart, Amazon, or eBay (there are more, of course).
Young Living Products Featuring Marjoram:
- Aroma Life essential oil blend
- Aroma Seize essential oil blend
- Dragon Time essential oil blend and Bath and Shower Gel
- M-Grain essential oil blend
- Ortho Ease Massage Oil
- R.C. essential oil blend
- SuperCal supplement
More Articles featuring Marjoram Essential Oil
- Stop Moodiness and Crams with Dragon Time
- Holiday Recipes
- More Articles featuring Marjoram Essential Oil
Did you find this post helpful? If you enjoyed this post, please comment below and share.
P.S. Be sure to scroll down some more and sign up for our newsletter for more information, tips, tricks, recipes, or to just see what we’re up to.
We have an incredible group of essential oils education leaders who are ready to help guide you on your journey, whether you need individual coaching, or just want to be part of an excellent online community filled with support, resources, and ideas on how to use your oils!
Need help with getting started using essential oils? We have a FREE 1-week Introduction to Essential Oils email class that you’re welcome to take that discusses all the basics to using oils safely.