With a rich history and unique aromatic profile, Patchouli is perfect for the free spirit. Use its calming, relaxing aroma to diffuse, or apply topically to improve the appearance of skin. It also helps combat jealousy, obsessions, and insecurities.
How Patchouli Essential Oil is Made
Patchouli oil is carefully extracted through steam distillation of a low, bushy shrub native to tropical regions in Southeast Asia. Although the plant is part of the mint family, Patchouli essential oil has a powerful, musky scent, and because of its complex aroma, Patchouli uses often include perfumes, soaps, incense, and essential oil blends.
** PLEASE NOTE ** Don’t be fooled by clever marketing. Not all essential oils are created equally. Make sure you’re not wasting your money on fake or altered essential oils (even if they’re labeled as “pure essential oil”). Don’t miss our explosive report outlining the dirty little secrets of the essential oil industry to ensure you’re not wasting your money on brands of oils that legally mislead you through deceitful marketing practices.
Our Favorite Ways To Use Patchouli Essential Oil:
- Add 2–3 drops into your favorite facial lotion or moisturizer and massage onto your skin for a healthy, youthful-looking glow.
- Diffuse in the evening after a long day at work or school so you can enjoy a more peaceful and calming environment.
- Patchouli is incredibly soothing to your emotions when you feel tense or panicky
- Add a couple of drops to your shampoo or conditioner for healthier-looking hair.
- DIY Patchouli Hair Mask
- Patchouli is excellent for supporting everything skin (especially stressed skin)
- An excellent additive to your bug repellants
- Use in a cooling spray to help you cool down
- Dilute and apply to your temples and the back of your head to reduce tension headaches
- Add to your favorite ointment to soothe chapped skin
- Add to your favorite skin serums or lotions to help with reducing weight
- Apply on your face with your favorite serum to reduce the appearance of wrinkles
Our Favorite DIY Diffuser blends featuring Patchouli Essential Oil Blend:
- Cloudy Skies: 3 drops each patchouli, black pepper, and sandalwood
- Chill Out Nerves: 2 drops each patchouli, bergamot, ylang ylang
- Clear Night: 2 drops each patchouli and sandalwood with 1 drop each lemongrass and vetiver
- Love Yourself: 2 drops each patchouli, clary sage, sandalwood
- Mountain Breaths: 2 drops each patchouli, cypress, bergamot
- Breathe Deep: 2 drops each patchouli and bergamot and 1 drop eucalyptus
- Crisp Walk: 2 drops each patchouli, frankincense, lavender, with 1 drop rosemary
- Crisp Autumn: 3 drops each patchouli and lavender with 1 drop marjoram
- Breathe And Sleep: 3 drops lavender, bergamot, eucalyptus, lemon with 3 drops each frankincense, tea tree, patchouli
- Haunted House: 3 drops orange, 2 drops each of sage and patchouli
- Forest Walk: 2 drops eucalyptus, patchouli, and rosemary, 3 drops frankincense, 1 drop lavender
Essential oils that blend well with patchouli
Patchouli blends especially well with bergamot, clary sage, frankincense, geranium, ginger, lavender, lemongrass, myrrh, pine, rosewood, and sandalwood essential oils.
Frequently Asked Questions about Patchouli Essential Oil
Is patchouli essential oil safe to use while pregnant?
Yes. Generally patchouli essential oil is considered safe to use while you’re pregnant.
If you’re using oils while pregnant, I highly recommend this reference guide. It contains some great advice for using essential oils while pregnant, plus some DIY Recipes you’ll love too.
Is patchouli essential oil safe for kids and babies?
Generally, yes. Though I do highly recommend only using lavender and frankincense on or around newborns.
While essential oils may be safe for kids to use, please do not have your child use an essential oil internally without being under the direct guidance of a naturopathic doctor.
Can you be allergic to patchouli essential oil?
There are a few reasons why you would experience an allergy-like reaction to essential oils. Usually, this is caused by not diluting the oil you’re applying (or not diluting it enough). Please refer to our essential oils and allergies article for more in-depth information.
Is patchouli essential oil safe for dogs and cats?
Patchouli essential oil is safe to use with your dogs and cats.
If you’re using essential oils around your family pets, be sure to allow them access out of the room and into a room where you’re not diffusing. This way they’re able to escape when they feel they’ve had enough. Please also consider picking up a reference guide specific to using essential oils with animals.
Should you use patchouli essential oil if you’re taking medication?
This is a very personal question, and really depends on which medications you’re taking. I have an entire article dedicated to known medication contraindications that I highly recommend you check out… in addition to having a lengthy conversation with your local aromatherapist or pharmacist.
How often should you use patchouli essential oil?
This is also a personal question. This depends on what you’re using it for and how experienced you are using it. For beginners, I recommend only diffusing for 30 minutes at a time, then giving your body an hour break. If you diffuse too much, you could end up lightheaded. Personally, I have a diffuser running most of the day intermittently (using the intermittent setting on our diffuser). Or I’ll wear a piece of diffusing jewelry with 3 drops of oil on it throughout the day (those 3 drops usually last a few days). Check out our article about diffusing essential oils safely for more info.
Don’t see an answer to the question you have about patchouli essential oil?
Have a question you don’t see? You’re welcome to ask in the comments or fill out this form to ask anonymously.
Where To Find Patchouli Essential Oil
Don’t fall prey to dishonest but legal marketing practices. Contrary to what many bloggers and aromatherapists claim, not all essential oils are created equally. In fact, some aren’t even true essential oils, but are labeled as 100% pure! Don’t miss this article outlining all the essential oil industry’s dirty little secrets that no one is telling you about!
We purchase our oils through Young Living because they set a impeccable standard for essential oils that by far exceeds the rest of the industry. Their Seed to Seal guarantee is unmatched, and shows their dedication to farm-to-table approach to providing their customers with the best quality of essential oils possible.
Products featuring Patchouli Essential Oil
Supplements containing Patchouli: Allerzyme
Did you find this post helpful? If you enjoyed this post, please comment below and share.
P.S. If you’re looking for some help using essential oils, head over to our Intro To Essential Oils page to enroll in our free email course all about how to use essential oils safely, and some info about how to use our most popular oils.
Want more info? Be sure to check out our Membership Page for more info on how you can learn more from us in our exclusive online groups and courses!