Collagen has been a hot topic within the natural wellness space again, and for good reason. It has provided some impressive positive results for many people through achieving anti-aging, fitness, and wellness goals. After doing a lot of research about collagen and which supplements are the best, I came across arguments outlining the benefits of supporting your body to make its own collagen and discovered there are 6 essential oils that support collagen production.
In this article, we will also talk about collagen, whether it should be something you will want to include in your wellness routine, testimonials I've personally seen, my personal experiences, the downside of collagen supplements, and how you can overcome the downsides.
- 5 Types of Collagen
- Is taking a collagen supplement right for you?
- 3 tips to maximize your collagen absorption
- 6 Essential Oils That Support Collagen Production
- Other articles you won't want to miss
The information provided on this website is for educational purposes only. Nothing on this page has been evaluated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and is not intended to provide medical advice for any health condition, nor is it intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
5 Types of Collagen
- Type 1: Most abundant type in your body, and essential for your skin, tendon, organ, bone, and digestive health
- Type 2: Specifically supports cartilage in your joints
- Type 3: Most often found with Type 1. It helps support your skin, provides elasticity and firmness, and is important for your cardiovascular system.
- Type 5: Excellent to support skin and hair health
- Type 10: Specifically beneficial for your bone health
Is taking a collagen supplement right for you?
Testimonies I've seen this month about taking collagen
- Active Duty Marines talk about reducing back pain…
- Friends reverse back injuries and avoid surgery…
- Friends post their 10-year before and current photos, looking younger…
- Moms talk about suddenly being able to keep up better with their kids, without ending each night with joint pain
- Moms talking about reducing their sagging postpartum skin
- Friends on their weight loss journey talking about tightening their skin
Benefits of Consuming Collagen
- Improves skin health
- It May help improve muscle development and retention (like this study mentions)
- Improves joint functioning by supporting your cartilage and reducing degenerative joint disorders (according to this study)
- Supports your bone strength and health (this study even talks about collagen preventing bone loss)
- It May help support your cardiovascular health (as discussed in this study)
- Improves the health of your hair, skin, and nails (according to this study)
The Downside Of Taking Collagen Supplements
- Most collagen supplements only provide collagen from one source.
- Most collagen supplements only provide one TYPE of collagen.
- Most collagen supplements do not provide hydrolyzed collagen peptides (hydrolyzed peptides allow your body to actually digest and absorb the collagen.
- Many collagen supplements have gross flavors and smell, and don't mix well into liquids. This makes it difficult to actually consume and want to consume.
The collagen you consume needs to pass through your digestive tract. This means not all the collagen from your supplement will be absorbed into your bloodstream, where it needs to go in order to have any positive effects on your health. This means very little of the collagen you consume is likely to be absorbed into your body.
Because collagen gaining popularity, especially with people desiring anti-aging benefits, weight loss benefits, and joint health benefits, many companies have been rushing to develop and sell their own collagen supplements. The problem with this is that many companies are not selling actual collagen or quality collagen.
3 tips to maximize your collagen absorption
The great thing about your body is there is more than one way to do anything… and that also includes absorbing collagen. While collagen supplements may not be as bioavailable on their own, they can be mixed in a manner that maximizes their bioavailability… meaning your body will be able to metabolize and absorb them. The three methods we've found to help increase absorption:
- Nutrition and Gut health
- Using collagen peptides
- Essential oils
Nutrition and Gut Health To Maximize Collagen Absorption
While collagen may help support and enhance the health of your skin, joints, and bones, dietary collagen consumption has not been proven to help counteract or prevent degenerative issues in these areas.
Supplementation with gelatin in humans augments collagen synthesis after exercise. The accelerated rate of collagen synthesis was observed as early as 4 h after the first bout (5 h after gelatin supplementation) and was maintained over the 72 h of the study. These data suggest that adding gelatin and vitamin C to an intermittent exercise program could play a beneficial role in injury prevention and tissue repair.an April 2015 review in the Annual Review of Food Science and Technology
Using a collagen peptide supplement helps your body's ability to digest and absorb it.
My personal favorite collagen supplement is the Joyomè brand. It contains types I and III collagen peptides, ceramides, Biotin, and prebiotics. I love my own results along with the results I've seen friends achieve.
6 Essential Oils That Support Collagen Production
What?? Yes! You read that right… Essential oils have had research citing their astringent properties and abilities to boost collagen production, protect your skin from damaging free radicals, and encourage skin cell regeneration. In short, essential oils can help turn back the clock on aging and restore a youthful glow on your skin.
- Geranium Essential Oil
- Sandalwood Essential Oil
- Rose Essential Oil
- Frankincense Essential Oil
- Lemongrass Essential Oil
- Lavender Essential Oil
** PLEASE NOTE ** Don't be fooled by clever marketing. Not all essential oils are created equally. Make sure you're not wasting your money on fake or altered essential oils (even if they're labeled as “pure essential oil”). Don't miss our explosive report outlining the dirty little secrets of the essential oil industry to ensure you're not wasting your money on brands of oils that legally mislead you through deceitful marketing practices.
** Please note, our authors may make a small commission from sales made after clicking on partnership links provided on this website through predetermined partnerships. For more information, please see our disclaimers page. EssentialOils.Life authors only provide recommendations that we have extensively researched, personally used, and really like.
Best Carrier Oils To Use With Essential Oils To Support Collagen Production
How To Use Essential Oils For Increasing Collagen
Using essential oils to promote your body's collagen production is as simple as diluting and applying them to your skin.
Anti-Wrinkle Face Oil
Add essential oils to your favorite face cream
Apply 1-2 drops of your choice of collagen-supporting essential oils to daily face cream. Mix thoroughly, then apply as normal.
If you enjoyed this post, please comment below and share it with your friends and on your favorite Pinterest board to save it for later. Our website team LOVES to hear about your personal experiences and wins using essential oils.
Don't miss out on free essential oils, discounts on essential oil-infused household products, and healthy lifestyle coaching! Join our membership today for product discounts, group support, and complimentary coaching. Or take our complimentary online, self-paced introduction to essential oils course.
Looking for more info about essential oils and adopting a healthier lifestyle? Be sure to check out our Healthy Home online course for tips on how to identify and replace common harmful products from your home.